Kozfest Sunset...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kozfest Sunset...

I nearly left this one on the digital cutting room floor as I couldn't get it the way I'd envisaged it.

This version is a seven-portrait-image stitch but I'd actually taken a set of 14 as I'd included the top of the contrail 'bow' but I wasn't able to automate including the top section using 'Merge to panorama in Photoshop'.

So, unless I can manually handle the merge, for now it has a cropped contrail which, it goes without saying, needs to be viewed on Flickr):

Kozfest Sunset by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 29-08-2019, 09:48.

Re: Kozfest Sunset...

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
    I nearly left this one on the digital cutting room floor as I couldn't get it the way I'd envisaged it.

This version is a seven-portrait-image stitch but I'd actually taken a set of 14 as I'd included the top of the contrail 'bow' but I wasn't able to automate including the top section using 'Merge to panorama in Photoshop'.

So, unless I can manually handle the merge, for now it has a cropped contrail which, it goes without saying, needs to be viewed on Flickr):

Kozfest Sunset by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John
    Wow! That really is an in your face kind of a shot...

What was the problem with trying to stitch 14 images? I've done 10 in a double row though they were mono and only 10Mp images to boot...

With regard to completing the contrail might it be possible stitch the remaining 7 images together as another pano and then see if PS can stitch the two panos together?
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel

Yes, unashamedly in your face but oh so fitting as Kozfest is a "festival of psychedelic music" where everything else over the weekend is

I have tried stitching the top row together as a separate set but there weren't sufficient common areas for PS to grab on to. I also tried stitching pairs but they were so distorted that that also failed - distortion is your enemy trying to match ground level shots with some taken with the camera pointing nearly straight up!

It's my fault entirely as I saw the drama in the sky unfolding but didn't think I had time to pop back to the van to get my 16-35f4 which would have taken it all in. Also, being hand held, I needed to do quite a bit of levelling to stitch even this set followed with some major filling the ground area which is one reason it's so blacked out ).

However, the aspect ratio is roughly 2:1 which makes it perfect for a CD gate-fold sleeve and one of the bands playing at the festival has approached me seeking permission to use it for a forthcoming live recording of their set. I said yes

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Excellent image, John, and well worth all the angst and effort. I know what it is like when you can't get want you planned, but you mustn't let this blind you to what people see when coming to it fresh and not seeing what you wanted. I think it works well without the top of the contrail, partly because the right hand one looks like it is petering out at the top anyway.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Good on here John ............ stunning on Flickr.
          Colin

Comment

A truly magnificent image John even without the full bow, stunning.

Bill.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks Alex, Colin and Bill

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Excellent John. The work to produce this was worth the result. dark scenes and sunsets most certainly look better on Flickr
                David

Comment

Thanks David

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X