Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filters

Every year I do a project where I concentrate on one aspect of photography. For 2020 I have decided that I should take some time out from my normal wildlife photography and look again at landscapes.

I like to get everything right in the camera if I can, though I am no stranger to photoshop if I need to and to this end I have already updated my Lee Filters holder to the latest version. I already have some filters, but my question is to those more experienced is: what filters do you consider essential and what filters do you consider nice to have?

I look forward to you collective wisdom.
    Colin

Re: Filters

Colin as I'm sure you are aware the only filter that you cannot replicate in any Post Processing software is a circular polariser. But my main use of a CP filter in Landscape work is to remove glare off water surfaces or leaves.

In terms of essential/nice to have, my initial thoughts are:-

A reverse graduated filter is nice for sunset/rise but at a push you can create a workaround using two opposing filters, from memory it was Joe Cornish who I first saw suggesting that type of workaround. It may be worth a Google to check it out.

Essential? without knowing which filters you already have thats a tricky one. Depending on your future landscape work the main area of choice is between hard and soft grads. Soft graduation for a scene in which some feature is intruding in the sky. Hard graduations for a scene with a straight horizon.

I'm not sure that the above will be of help to you but hopefully someone else will chip in with their words of wisdom
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Re: Filters

I realise you are way more advanced than me Colin, but so pleased with the advice I got on my Glen Tilt shots. Boosted it back to the top so you could have a read.
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X