lens camera combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lens camera combo

Hi so over the last week or so i have asked a few questions on forums about kit so i have one last question to ask before i decide what to do . this is for Wildlife in general , many thanks .

canon 7dmk ii + 500mm is f4 mk 1   or  1dx mk 1 + 300mm2.8 is mk 1 + 2x iii extender ?

Re: lens camera combo

If your doing wildlife then reach is your main issue,Converters are a useful bit of kit when needed but a big prime lens will probably serve you better.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

For me, a 2x extender is emergency use only. Granted the MKIII version is better than its predecessors, but the slight loss in quality and dropping two stops is a killer. High shutter speed is paramount with wildlife and losing those two stops means you have to compensate with upping the ISO by two stops .......... another loss in quality. However, I regularly use the 1.4x MKII and can't really tell the difference in quality when paired with my big lenses.

I would definitely go for the 500mm, but I would stretch the budget and pair it to the 1Dx. The 7D MKII is a superb action/wildlife body, but the 1Dx is the next step up the ladder, in fact with the exception of the 1Dx MKII, it is the top of the ladder.

I know the extra cost of the 1Dx will sting a little, but when you have that combo in your hands all thought of cost will disappear. I know as I have been in that very same situation, but if you are serious about wildlife photography, you need the right tools for the job and what better tools than a 1Dx, a 500mm f4 and perhaps a 1.4x.
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
        For me, a 2x extender is emergency use only. Granted the MKIII version is better than its predecessors, but the slight loss in quality and dropping two stops is a killer. High shutter speed is paramount with wildlife and losing those two stops means you have to compensate with upping the ISO by two stops .......... another loss in quality. However, I regularly use the 1.4x MKII and can't really tell the difference in quality when paired with my big lenses.

I would definitely go for the 500mm, but I would stretch the budget and pair it to the 1Dx. The 7D MKII is a superb action/wildlife body, but the 1Dx is the next step up the ladder, in fact with the exception of the 1Dx MKII, it is the top of the ladder.

I know the extra cost of the 1Dx will sting a little, but when you have that combo in your hands all thought of cost will disappear. I know as I have been in that very same situation, but if you are serious about wildlife photography, you need the right tools for the job and what better tools than a 1Dx, a 500mm f4 and perhaps a 1.4x.
        Thanks colin , Unfortunately can only afford one or the other at the moment , do you think the 1dx would make any difference to my setup at the moment with my 300mm + 2x extender over my 7d mk ii , thanks

Comment

If I can't get what I need/want ............ I wait until I can.

For now I would just get the 500mm lens; glass is always first. I am presuming you already have an existing body and if so, use it until you can budget for the 1Dx. If not, then go for the 500mm and 7D MKII combo and be prepared to trade up to the 1Dx at your earliest opportunity.

The 1Dx is a much faster camera. Quicker to lock on, quicker to track, faster frame rate, larger burst rate, better high ISO, three processors over one for the 7D, more customisation, rugged construction and better weather sealing and because of its size and weight, much better balanced when coupled with long lenses. My best advice is not to hire or borrow one for a weekend .............. you won't ever give it back!
          Colin

Comment

If I can't get what I need/want ............ I wait until I can.

For now I would just get the 500mm lens; glass is always first. I am presuming you already have an existing body and if so, use it until you can budget for the 1Dx. If not, then go for the 500mm and 7D MKII combo and be prepared to trade up to the 1Dx at your earliest opportunity.

The 1Dx is a much faster camera. Quicker to lock on, quicker to track, faster frame rate, larger burst rate, better high ISO, three processors over one for the 7D, more customisation, rugged construction and better weather sealing and because of its size and weight, much better balanced when coupled with long lenses. My best advice is not to hire or borrow one for a weekend .............. you won't ever give it back!
            Many thanks , have just sold my 300mm so 500mm will hopefully get this week and yeah have a 7d2 and extenders to pair with , do you have any photos on flickr or anywhere else

Comment

three processors over one for the 7D...
              Just a minor point of order, the 7D Mk II has two DIGIC 6 processors.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Agree with Colin's comments wholeheartedly.
                Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Just a minor point of order, the 7D Mk II has two DIGIC 6 processors.

Thanks Andy .............. that is why it is so good for wildlife then!

do you have any photos on flickr

Try this: https://www.flickr.com/gp/157093211@N07/F1HmQ8
                  Colin

Comment

yes, canon 7dmk ii + 500mm is f4 will be the perfect for Wildlife capture...
                    Last edited by emilyanderson; 13-09-2019, 09:15.

Comment

Working...
                    X