EOS magazine advert
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

  1. #1
    Member* ST-EOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

    I'm having real problems copying a Flickr BB code to insert an image in a new post.

    I don't remember having so much chew trying to insert an image from my Flickr Photostream. Any words of wisdom to achieve a BB code that is an acceptable file type?

    The following is the full BB Code for an image of mine. However the forum doesn't like it!

    Flickr BBcode full

    20190828-_V1A8235-Edit-800px-copy.jpg by Peter Stockton, on Flickr

    Abridged Flickr BB Code

    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48666014963_a01b83422e_c.jpg[/img][/url]20190828-_V1A8235-Edit-800px-copy.jpg by Peter Stockton, on Flickr
    The abridged BB code shown above passed the forum requirements and allowed me to insert an image in this (link follows) POST.

    To get to an acceptable code I copy the full code and paste it into a word document, then selectively copy a portion of that code until the forum allows the image to be posted. But I may have had to unchecked this field:-

    "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

    However I sure that I never had to do this previously?

    I'm not sure if the change has been caused by SmugMug acquiring Flickr or if it's me having a senior moment.

    Is it just me or is anybody else having this issue?




  2. #2
    Member* John Liddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Backwell, North Somerset
    Posts
    2,873

    Default Re: Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

    Peter - I have just posted to the Animals section - just copied the BB Code as presented to me on Flickr - all seems to work.

    I am puzzled as to why you should be plagued with difficulty.
    John Liddle

    Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

  3. #3
    Member* ST-EOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Re: Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

    Quote Originally Posted by John Liddle View Post
    Peter - I have just posted to the Animals section - just copied the BB Code as presented to me on Flickr - all seems to work.

    I am puzzled as to why you should be plagued with difficulty.
    Thanks John, Iím at a loss to understand what the issue is. I canít remember having to edit the BB code previously. But if I copy the complete code with the checkbox ticked it fails!
    Iíll have to spend a bit of time to see if I can fathom it out. The only thing that seems odd is the length of the BB code, it seems to be much longer than I recall.


    Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Default Re: Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

    Quote Originally Posted by ST-EOS View Post

    To get to an acceptable code I copy the full code and paste it into a word document, then selectively copy a portion of that code until the forum allows the image to be posted. But I may have had to unchecked this field:-

    "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"

    However I sure that I never had to do this previously?

    I'm not sure if the change has been caused by SmugMug acquiring Flickr or if it's me having a senior moment.

    Is it just me or is anybody else having this issue?



    Word document? Do you mean Microsoft Word (or similar) and if so why the extra step? Why not simply compose the post directly in the forum and paste the BB code in directly from Flickr? This is how I post images and I can't recall ever having an issue - the BBCode includes all the [url} & [img] tags required.

    PS

    OK I've just been having a play and may have found the source of the issue.

    Are you copying the BBCode from flickr and then pasting it into the 'From URL' section of the 'Insert Image' tool? I tried this with the BBCode of one of my images and got the invalid code warning and yes, un-ticking the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" will then allow the picture to appear.

    If this is the case then then all you have to do is remember that you don't need to use the Insert Image option, just post the copied BBCode straight into the text, it contains all the tags required to reference the image in Flickr - you don't need to do anything else.
    Last edited by El Sid; 03-09-2019 at 12:46.
    Nigel

    You may know me from Another Place....

    The new ElSid Photogallery...

    Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

    I just pasted the BBCode into Word, along with this sentence, and then copied the whole lot into the forumÖ


    Chichester Cathedral, The West Door by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr

    Yep that works too...
    Nigel

    You may know me from Another Place....

    The new ElSid Photogallery...

    Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

  6. #6
    Member* ST-EOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Re: Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    Word document? Do you mean Microsoft Word (or similar) and if so why the extra step? Why not simply compose the post directly in the forum and paste the BB code in directly from Flickr? This is how I post images and I can't recall ever having an issue - the BBCode includes all the [url} & [img] tags required.

    PS

    OK I've just been having a play and may have found the source of the issue.

    Are you copying the BBCode from flickr and then pasting it into the 'From URL' section of the 'Insert Image' tool? I tried this with the BBCode of one of my images and got the invalid code warning and yes, un-ticking the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" will then allow the picture to appear.

    If this is the case then then all you have to do is remember that you don't need to use the Insert Image option, just post the copied BBCode straight into the text, it contains all the tags required to reference the image in Flickr - you don't need to do anything else.
    Sorry Nigel I was using a word document so that I could see all of the BBCode to try and decipher
    which part of it was required.
    The checkbox is the key to that issue if using the insert image procedure issue then, thanks for confirming that for me.
    I shall try again this evening when I get home.

  7. #7
    Member* ST-EOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    7,012

    Default Re: Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

    Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    Word document? Do you mean Microsoft Word (or similar) and if so why the extra step? Why not simply compose the post directly in the forum and paste the BB code in directly from Flickr? This is how I post images and I can't recall ever having an issue - the BBCode includes all the [url} & [img] tags required.

    PS

    OK I've just been having a play and may have found the source of the issue.

    Are you copying the BBCode from flickr and then pasting it into the 'From URL' section of the 'Insert Image' tool? I tried this with the BBCode of one of my images and got the invalid code warning and yes, un-ticking the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" will then allow the picture to appear.

    If this is the case then then all you have to do is remember that you don't need to use the Insert Image option, just post the copied BBCode straight into the text, it contains all the tags required to reference the image in Flickr - you don't need to do anything else.
    Cheers Nigel
    I have just added an additional image to my St. Marys Lighthouse post, using the the direct method you have described

  8. #8

    Default Re: Forum requirements for using a Flickr BB Code

    Happy to help...

    Now where did I remember that from?...
    Nigel

    You may know me from Another Place....

    The new ElSid Photogallery...

    Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •