• Show
Clear All

Wasp Spider

At Barnes over the weekend

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: Wasp Spider

Nice clear, detailed shot Stan. I used to drive 60miles to RSPB Rainham Marshes to see them but have now found a new location only 6 miles from me, on outskirts of Dover. At this new location, I would say about 25% of the webs with wasp spiders, don't have the usual zig-zag, as shown on this shot.

John

Comment

thanks for looking John
      I used to drive 60miles to RSPB Rainham Marshes to see them but have now found a new location only 6 miles from me, on outskirts of Dover. At this new location, I would say about 25% of the webs with wasp spiders, don't have the usual zig-zag, as shown on this shot.
      the main location for them down this way is RSPB Arne but not seen any there this year and up your way there were quite a few at Elmley last year.
      There were at least half a dozen of them within a few metres of each other at Barnes but only one had the zig zag web, which according to Bug Life would indicate a mature spider, the young ones are just a normal circular design. The purpose of the zig zag is to reflect UV light and attract pollinating insects like flies, bees and moths!
      Another fact I did not know is that after or during mating, the female eats the male !!
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Only thing I can say Stan I'm thankful I'm not a male Wasp Spider. Nice detailed shot
        Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I like that, well spotted

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Great shot Stan with lovely detail.

Bill.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              thanks for looking John

the main location for them down this way is RSPB Arne but not seen any there this year and up your way there were quite a few at Elmley last year.
              There were at least half a dozen of them within a few metres of each other at Barnes but only one had the zig zag web, which according to Bug Life would indicate a mature spider, the young ones are just a normal circular design. The purpose of the zig zag is to reflect UV light and attract pollinating insects like flies, bees and moths!
              Another fact I did not know is that after or during mating, the female eats the male !!
              Never seen one at Elmley but that's probably because I tend to drive along the track where you're not allowed out of the car, then turn around and come back.
              I did know about the males having to make a quick getaway following mating but I think that applies to a lot of spiders. Didn't know that only the mature ones construct the zig-zag webs. Heard various different theories about the zig-zag but I though the most common one seemed to be it provides a bit more elasticity to the web, as their main prey tends to be grasshoppers, which are strong enough to break free from ordinary webs.

John

Comment

Very nice detailed shot Stan
                Steve ( LSINWP )
                1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Amazing Stan, I have never seen one. The zig zag web portion shows rather well.
                  Colin

Comment

Working...
                  X