Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What passes for art today.

_H8A0018 copy by Ian Wheatley, on Flickr

Taken on a recent visit to Holdenby House, Northamptonshire. These monstrosities are scattered throughout the gardens.. A blot on the landscape or a late entry to this years Turner Prize? The late Brian Sewell must be spinning in his grave. What were the owners thinking of? Comments welcome. Regards, Ian P.

Re: What passes for art today.

Beauty is subjective but, personally, I have time for modern art and placing it in conjunction with classical architecture, formal gardens or even wilder landscape can be very effective.

Here, I think a better composition would have shown off the contrast in a more favourable light.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

We will have to agree to differ on this one John but I will have a word with Mr. Lowther to see if he can get the hedge chopped down in time for my next visit. Failing this I don't see how I could have included more of the house, thereby improving the composition. As for bent sheet of metal riveted together passing for art, not for me, but then again lots of people loved Tracys unmade bed, Charles Saatchi for one, who went and paid a small fortune for it. No accounting for taste. Regards, Ian.

Comment

Ian

You ask for comments but I think you’ll find that the forum members would prefer to respond about the image rather than their views on its content.
        Personally I like comparisons that make the viewer think. Old and new are ideal subjects. Maybe a better viewpoint would have produced an image to grab the viewer’s attention.

Art is very subjective!
        Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

I like the contrast of old and new and the way the edge of the sculpture aligns with the edge of the building.

If it were me I would probably clone out the croquet hoop and seat at the far edge of the lawn...
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Ian, I find it strange that you refer to the artwork as a monstrosity but you choose to make an image of it!

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Did you not get the point I was trying to make Peter? I took this image to exactly illustrate the foolishness of erecting stuff like this in an English country house garden. Holdenby House is steeped in history, well worth a Google. I just feel it deserves better than this tat. Regards, Ian P.

Sent from the county of Spires and Squires.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Paul View Post
                Did you not get the point I was trying to make Peter? I took this image to exactly illustrate the foolishness of erecting stuff like this in an English country house garden. Holdenby House is steeped in history, well worth a Google. I just feel it deserves better than this tat. Regards, Ian P.

Sent from the county of Spires and Squires.
                No

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Paul View Post
                  Did you not get the point I was trying to make Peter? I took this image to exactly illustrate the foolishness of erecting stuff like this in an English country house garden. Holdenby House is steeped in history, well worth a Google. I just feel it deserves better than this tat.
                  This is a photographic forum Ian. People post a photograph and then members give their opinions on it. Maybe your post would be more suited to a "what is art ?" forum, rather than the landscape section here.

John

Comment

I quite like it myself.

You can't please everyone, a lot of people don't like the pyramid at the Louvre.
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I think I would also have cloned out at least the croquet hoop.

Since the image is presumably primarily intended to show the sculpture, I am not sure that the extent of the house visibility is pertinent.

Although I am not a great fan of modern "art", I am also aware that the house is now very much marketed as a venue rather than purely a historical location. As such, it needs to continually re-invent itself to attract custom. I assume the sculptures are part of that process and who knows, perhaps the owners put them there because they really, really like them.

As far as I can tell, the house belongs to the Lowther family rather than to the Nation, so I am not sure any of us is in a position to tell them what to do with it.
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Interesting sculpture. I'm sure there must have been some more interesting and creative angles on it without some tatty old house in the background...
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                        X