Can anyone advise me on a camera bag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have several camera bags - the most widely used is my trusty sling type, but occasionally I use my backpack.

The problem is, with my over the shoulder sling style bag, I find that carrying it for several hours really hurts my shoulder these days, so I am considering a smaller backpack (both shoulders) to distribute the load.

I've look at a few in the local shops, but they have nowhere near the range of bags.

What I'm looking for is a bag that will carry Canon EOD 6D Mk II, 24-105L Lens - one other lens - either a 50mm or a 100mm prime, batteries, SD cards, small torch, bottle of water and a remote. The ability to attach a tripod would be useful too. Mostly, while out and about, I carry the camera and 24-105 lens separately, but it's nice to stick them in a waterproof bag when then inevitable shower drops its load.

Above all, the bag needs to sit in the small of my back (the most comfortable location for me) for long periods of time, yet be reasonably quickly accessible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Jock, a photography mate of mine uses a bag produced by a company called Mind Shift Gear (part of the Think Tank group of companies)
    His is a Backlight 26 litre. That companies range may be worth a G**gle for reviews.
    I was considering getting the same bag to replace my LowePro backpack, mainly because the mind shift bag opens from the reverse side. My LowePro is the opposite so when I put it on the ground to open it the side that’s on the ground picks up all sorts of rubbish on the padded mesh. That means when I put the bag back on the rubbish/dampness is against my back.
    Another brand that may be worth a look is Vanguard. I was at a wedding last year and the Pro Photographer was using a bag that was an Amazon own brand.
    I’m not sure all the above will help you choose a new bag but it may be good for thought. Bags are difficult to try before you buy as the limited amount of high street camera shops where you can try them out.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ST-EOS; 04-09-2019, 16:52.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Re: Can anyone advise me on a camera bag?

I don't have any specific backpack recommendations but Tenba may be worth a look at. They do a decent range and are very good quality - I've been using one of their DNA bags for a couple of years now and while it's starting to show signs of wear it's still in good nick and has been very solid.

As an alternative, I've got a Crumpler Belly backpack which is very well made and solid. They do photo gear as well but you may find one of their backpacks with some inserts works well too...
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I have quite a variety of different bags, but if I’m carrying my “serious” gear I take the Backpack - Lowepro Flipside 300. I never get backache with that. It holds 80D withEF 24-105, EF 70-300, EF 100 macro, EF-s 10-18, EF-S 35 macro, plus several filters. It has a zipped pocket for handbag stuff, plus 2 outside pockets for water bottles. Also has a holder for a tripod. Can highly recommend it.
        Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
        http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

I’m on the lookout for one myself.....the spec of Jan’s suggestion looks good.

My shortlist is
          Manfrotto advanced travel backpack
          Manfrotto street backpack
          Lowepro slingshot edge 250
          Lowepro photo classic

All have tripod facility....and laptop facility.....the slingshot is lighter at 800g, Manfrotto street is next lightest 1.1kg
          ....still cant make up my mind!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys - I guess I'll have to make a trip a little further afield and try some different bags - like ST-EOS says, the problem is trying out the bags especially as there are so few local camera shops these days.

I'll let you know when I find my "perfect" bag! :-)

Comment

Jock / Brian,
              I’m looking to upgrade my old and small camera bag, so my first thought was to check the EOS Forum to see what has been posted.

I’d be interested to know which camera bag you decided on and what you’ve thought of your choice.
              It is a personal choice, but it is good to hear others experiences.

Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Lavenderhill View Post
                Jock / Brian,
                I’m looking to upgrade my old and small camera bag, so my first thought was to check the EOS Forum to see what has been posted.

I’d be interested to know which camera bag you decided on and what you’ve thought of your choice.

Rose
                I now have several camera bags, but simplest is best. I bought a Tamrac Velocity7z which I use for longer trips, but I do get a sore shoulder if I use it for too long. In fact I've gone back to my LowPro rucksack, but taken a lot of the "junk" out of it to make it lighter. In these days of isolation, I can stuff a flask of coffee and some sandwiches in there as well as the camera, batteries and a spare lens.

My wife has a small bag for her EOS 650D, but once again, too long with that slung over her shoulder and she gets sore. I suggest using a rucksack type of bag, but no fill it too much - the sling type bags are great for short periods, but we both find long term they're uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavenderhill View Post
                  Jock / Brian,

Rose
                  I am a great fan of the LowePro range, which come in a large number of varieties. My favourite model has to be the Nova AW, which comes in a range of sizes - I am sure you will find one that suits from this brand/range.

Comment

I'm not a fan of camera bags, its so obvious to anyone what's in them - you might as well put a label on it, saying to the local mugger this bag contains a few grands worth of cameras and lens.
                    I use a military day sack, just put in what I need for the task in mind. So in realty when I see a fox halfway across a field I got the 100mm Macro lens with me, when some exotic butterfly lands in front of me I got the 150-500mm lens.:(
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

If I’m travelling light, I use a non photographic lightweight backpack and use a rectangular shock proof padded insert in the bottom.
                      I also sometimes use a pacsafe backpack in London. It has hidden padlocks and chicken wire to prevent the bag being slashed. (My husband sometimes thinks I’m paranoid!)
                      Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
                      http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

I've got a Lowepro m-Trekker BP 150 which is fine for my 90D and 3 lenses. Good quality, I like it.
                        Using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you everyone for replying- I am tempted by a backpack for the reason that my current shoulder bag gets very uncomfortable after a while.
                          I also like the idea of taking coffee and a sandwich to keep me going!
                          I am going to have a look at the bags you have all mentioned.

Christmas will be here soon, so I may just be lucky enough........
                          Rose

Comment

I bought a cheap Mantona New York bag on Amazon a few years ago and I've had it since. I carries two bodies with lenses attaches, additional lenses and flash guns. I've not really looked after it, maybe because it wasn't too expensive, but it doesn't really show any signs of ageing. I'm happy with it.

That's the one:
                            Ufniak.co.uk

Comment

I use a Wandrd Prvke 21, which can accommodate my 5D Mk IV with 24-105L lens attached and my 17-40L. The bag is very comfortable can a tripod in the side pocket. See more on their website https://eu.wandrd.com/products/prvke...39360658898986

Comment

Working...
                              X