editing canon movies in windows movimaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

editing canon movies in windows movimaker

Canon cameras produce some fantastic movie footage. I have only just decided to try it out despite having had a 5D.mk2 since they came out. I now have a G12 as well. The problem is that I have attempted to edit the movies in Windows Moviemaker and, find it does not recognise them.

How can I convert movies from the canon MVI format to a format that Moviemaker will regognise but retain the size and quality of the video? Do Canon, or anyone else do a simple straightforward converter program, not one that requires loads of tweaking and fiddling or is there another straightforward way??

I don't want to have to go investing in expensive video editing programs that will get very little use!. A quick check of some so called "universal" editors show that they too do not recognise the Canon format.

I can happily view video footage in Zoom Browser but cannot see how to make a movie by linking several clips by cuts or dissolves. Is there an editing program out there that will edit Canon movie? How do other people manage or must I do all editiing "in camera" ?? This is a problem I did not forsee.

ADDENDUM>
    Since originally posting I have come across a converter program called "Pavtube" which converts to no end of formats, some of which Moviemaker can read. This works well but is very very slow... maybe I am selecting the wrong output so any advice here would be useful. I want to retain the HD quality and shape .

ADDENDUM 2
    I have now found out how to do a simple edit using Zoom Browser - although the means of doing it are quite well hidden in the program !! - and it works quite well, but again, the output cannot be read by some movie viewing programs so it needs to be converted into a more acceptable format. This has proved to be a lengthy business.

I'm still working on it and would still welcome any advice from people who are into this kind of thing. There has been a lot of publicity about the Canon camera movie capabilities but almost nothing on what to do with the footage once you have viewed it on the viewing screen!!

It seems that Canon engineers produced a good plug in for Apple's Final Cut that allows direct editing of Movie output but no mention of anything for Windows users.
    Last edited by camerasouth; 10-01-2011, 19:10. Reason: added comments

Re: editing canon movies in windows movimaker

MORE UPDATES.
    I've read and consulted quite a bit now and found that Adobe Premier Elements seems to offer a suitable solution at a not too horrendous cost, but user comments on Amazon totally slate it for sluggishness and causing crashes and other instabilities with the usual "Adobe don't want to know" comments. You never know who writes these so I decided to download the free trial (I'm on an new computer with Win 7 Ultimate) . Over an hour to download and when attempting to open the program, ages to install then it was unable to link in with shared applications (whatever they are) so unloaded itself !! It would not re-load. I've abandoned that. However I saw that Magix Movie Edit pro 17 was well thought of by some and so have downloaded a trial version of that and wow... it works and works well. It's £50 -£60 depending on source but looks good. I'd also like to ty Serif Movie Plus but they don't do a trial version. Magix looks ok though. We shall see... I shall continue trying.

Further addendum.... "I DON'T BELIEVE IT "

I have asked Canon what software they produce or recommend for use with the Movie function of their range of cameras.. after all they provide DPP for dealing with raw files and general still image processing, so, having spent fortunes developing the HD Movie function one would assume they had done something similar for movie! Their reply ????

"With reference to your enquiry regarding the PowerShot G12, unfortunately Canon does not provide video editting software for this device, nor can we recommend software that has not been produced by us. "

No comment ........................................
    Last edited by camerasouth; 10-01-2011, 23:16.

Comment

Hmmm... a number of weeks and no replies to this subject! Either it's not being found orthere's no interest!
      For those who might be interested, an update might be useful. I've deawn an absolute blank on this. Most editors (and Adobe Premier Element (trial downloaded) won't load up on any of my 3 computers (Win 7 Ultimate, 7 Home premium and XP ) Canon don't want to know. The camera supplier didn't seem to have any useful suggestion (suggesting that they hadn't a clue how to get the footage onto a disk so that other people could be shown the results). And one or two suggestions from software supplier (who bothered to respond) were vague.
      So, here we are with Canon spending a fortune on Movie capability in it's flagship cameras and magazines such as EOS raving about the image quality and movie capability, yet no one seeming to know how to utilise this and produce a simple DVD with some HD footage on it for playback on computers and domestic TVs !

All I want is a simple editing program to edit the footage and a simple disk burner to produce a useable output. Isn't there ANYONE out there doing this as amatter of routine who can put me right???

Comment

Hi Camerasouth,
        I cannot help with your question about the 5D but I can say that I have used PS Elements 9 with Windows 7 and downloaded from my Panasonic HD Video, edited the video and cut a couple of CD's that people have used/viewed without problems. Took me a while as I was learning as I went and I am sure made some simple errors but got the job done.
        It was a while ago so have forgotten all I learnt as I am now concentrating on photos from my 50D and the Panasonic HD camera is now gathering dust.

David
        David

Comment

Just seen your post.

I have edited many movies from my 5D MkII but make sure that you have the latest download as the software has had a major change. No need to convert as the program recognizes the format from the 5D MkII.

Latest that I use is Windows Live Movie Maker version 2011 build 15.4.3502.0922. There was issues with the previous Windows Movie Maker so make sure its the "Live"version.
          Last edited by malkie9; 22-02-2011, 22:30.
          Slàinte,

Malkie

I would be grateful for all constructive comments both good and not so good. I wont bite

Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

Comment

Have a look at Format Factory from here, it is free and converts most formats to anything.
            --
            Colin
            http://fotos-espana.com
            http://macameraclub.com
            http://turnspain.com

Comment

deleted
              Last edited by NickM; 11-07-2014, 00:56.
              I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

I also use windows live movie maker with no problems. The programs saves the movies as *.wmv files, but then I just convert them to AVI using http://www.ojosoft.com/
                Canon Eos 70D, Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC, Yongnuo YN565EX + YN568EX, Panasonic FZ200

Comment

Not a video fan so i can't really help much.
                  The only little bit of info i can give is my son shoots video for Kent uni "KTV LIVE" and they do all the editing with Sony Vegas software shooting with video cameras and canon cameras with no problems.

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I have tried several video editing programs over the years, but without doubt, the 'best of the bunch' has been Sony Vegas, and that's what I stay with.

Never use my DSLR for HD video, but always a dedicated video camera with internal HDD.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                      Never use my DSLR for HD video, but always a dedicated video camera with internal HDD.Dave
                      I totally agree. Using my 1100D for movies is an absolute pain in the arse: no autofocus, constant manual refocusing, and no point-and-shoot.
                      Wished I'd bought a dedicated video camera for movies instead of thinking the Canon could do it. It can't.
                      I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X