Action with the R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action with the R

The autofocus is clearly not as good as the 5DIV but with further perseverance with settings and technique I'm getting a decent rate of keepers.
    I'm still not sure whether or not to continue with focus tracking or use a single point and keep that over the subject manually...so far I've tried to improve with focus tracking....although for some reason the focus rectangle randomly sees a patch of grass it would rather look at rather than the subject and spontaneously jumps to that.

This is not a problem....rather a challenge to see how good the R is....I don't have a need for action tracking other than further accumulation of many images of a medium sized dog scampering around a field (he's also getting a bit old and not as willing as he was)

I'd welcome any other's experiances.

These are cropped using the RF24-105 and would probably have been better using the EF200mm.

_OSR0892 by brianvickers, on Flickr

_OSR0899 by brianvickers, on Flickr

_OSR0901 by brianvickers, on Flickr

_OSR0930 by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Last edited by @imagesBV; 08-09-2019, 19:49.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Action with the R

Great looking photos

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Excellent work with the R Brian

Tom

Comment

Good pics Brian.

My action pics so far have been limited to birds in the garden and the kite surfers. For the shots of the starlings I took on the bird feeder I used focus tracking with the max frame rate so it focused on the first shot only, this worked well as the action was taking place in one spot. For the kite surfers pics I posted I used small spot focus on to the sail I wanted and tracked it along.

I did recently try tracking a boat coming at a reasonable rate towards me using my 100-400 and spot focus and the setup was having a little difficulty, it acquired focus then hunted and repeated this a couple of times.

I’ll be at the Goodwood Revival meeting this coming weekend so will have plenty of opportunity to practice then. I’ll post anything decent I get.
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Lovely set Brian, that last one is superb.

Bill.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks Tom and Bill.

Thanks Ian...it will be interesting to see what technique/s you find most successful. I only ever used spot focus on the 5DIV for this sort of action and tracked manually so I expect that will be the best option with the R.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
            X