EOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Train to Southampton

Default Re: Train to Southampton

Quote Originally Posted by djguk47 View Post
    Hi Tom,
    I am a bit confused as you say that you arrive back to Southampton on the 25th yet have a Windsor Castle excursion planned the same day.
    Have you factored in the time to get from Southampton back to London settle in London then get the 20 or so miles west to Windsor Castle.
    Is the Windsor excursion starting in Windsor or starting in Londn?
    What time is the excursion.
    You can get atrain to Eton and walk up the road to the castle about 20 minutes walk and some nice old buildings on the way.. The old Windsor Station itself is worth having a look at on the way to the Castle.
    We booked the excursion from the ship and they are taking care of the transportation. What we are really interested is seeing some things on the 17th through the 18th before boarding.

Tom

If the cruise company is looking after the transfer of bags from flight to hotel in Southampton....you could go straight from Heathrow and spend the day in central London before taking the train from London to Southampton.....if you've not been before that would be the best bet in the time available.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by djguk47 View Post
    Hi Tom,
    I am a bit confused as you say that you arrive back to Southampton on the 25th yet have a Windsor Castle excursion planned the same day.
    Have you factored in the time to get from Southampton back to London settle in London then get the 20 or so miles west to Windsor Castle.
    Is the Windsor excursion starting in Windsor or starting in Londn?
    What time is the excursion.
    You can get atrain to Eton and walk up the road to the castle about 20 minutes walk and some nice old buildings on the way.. The old Windsor Station itself is worth having a look at on the way to the Castle.
    The Windsor Castle Tour is when we arrive back into Southampton after the cruise. The Cruise Line will have a bus to take our luggage and us to the Castle, then back to the Airport, where our hotel for the night is located. Our plane for the states leave the next day. As prior to the cruise, we are landing at Heathrow at 7:15 AM on Thursday the 17th. From there we plan on making our way to Southampton via train and we will be toting our luggage with us. Someone mentioned that when we arrive at Waterloo, we should pop our heads out to see Waterloo. What is there to see and photograph in that area? I understand that it may be raining there on Thursday.

Tom

I understand that it may be raining there on Thursday.
    Light rain with sunny intervals in London and Southampton for Thursday.
    Colin

Around Waterloo you will find London Red Busses amd London Black Cabs. Both synonymous with London. Be careful if you get in a Black Cab as they are very very expensive.
    David

Expensive...but more comfortable than the tube with no navigation problems as time is at premium.

If at Waterloo....thi is what I'd do....should keep you busy for 4 hours or so and a few hundred shots.

You could use the water taxis down the Thames...Festival Pier to Millbank pier takes you past the houses of parliament....walk north on Millbank - to Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.....cross parliament square to Birdcage Walk....left towards Buckingham Palace...changing of the guard etc (check times)….turn right along the Mall to Trafalgar square...then Northumberland Avenue towards the River and Embankment pier.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

I've never used them so I can't vouch for them, but I did a quick search and if it helps there is a 'left luggage' service at Waterloo Station: https://www.left-baggage.co.uk/en/locations
    Brian gives a good comprehensive route.
    But if you don't have that long, turn left after the barriers and head for the large exit at the of the station, exit by the war memorial plaque on the wall. Go down the steps, turn left, follow the hordes of people across the road, under the railway bridge, over the next road and up the steps next to the Royal Festival Hall (Nelson Mandela statue at the top) and you'll be on the South Bank of the river. Go right there along the river as far as you have time - you should see nice London skyline and can walk all the way to Tower Bridge. Keep an eye on the steps down to the river at various points if the tide is out for a different point of view.
    Also, if you go left at the river, be prepared for disappointing pictures of the Houses of Parliament as the Elizabeth Tower (aka Big Ben) is still covered in scaffolding.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Lightroom, Photoshop Elements, Aurora HDR Pro
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

You haven't mentioned where you are cruising Tom ............. I assume the Med?
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by colin C View Post
    You haven't mentioned where you are cruising Tom ............. I assume the Med?
    From Southampton to Hamburg to. Rotterdam then to Amsterdam to Le Have (sp) then back to Southampton

Tom

From Southampton to Hamburg to. Rotterdam then to Amsterdam to Le Have (sp) then back to Southampton
    Good for you Tom. It should be a reasonable trip, unlike the Med where you need to get through the Bay of Biscay. That would have been a very rough crossing at this time of year
    Colin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12