Train to Southampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train to Southampton

We are arriving at Heathrow Airport on 10/17 in the AM. We are spending the night at the Leonardo Royal Hotel before boarding the Cruise Ship on the 18th. My question is what train do we need to catch that would take us to Southampton and be close to the hotel we will be staying at and what is the fare for the trip? Also, once we check in, what are some interesting sites to visit while in Southampton that are walking distance?

Thanks for any advice

Tom

Re: Train to Southampton

Hi Tom. I might be talking out the top of my head here, but no doubt there are other members who will know better.
    You don't say what Terminal at Heathrow you are landing at. I think you will find that you will have to take the Underground Line to a Main Line Station such as Waterloo. Where no doubt you would get a direct train to Southhampton. I don't think there is a Main Line Station at Heathrow - I might be wrong.
    You might considered going from Heathrow to Southampton by coach, from the Central Coach Station at Heathrow - more likely be cheaper and quicker. I know there are direct coaches from Heathrow to Southampton.

I don't know the location of the Leonardo Royal Hotel in Southampton. There is a lot to be seen in Southampton but time might be a factor and location of the hotel. But no doubt the hotel would be able to advise you of local sites etc.

No doubt someone will come up with more details for you.
    What ever Terminal you land at there is a underground line to the main terminal building where the coach station is situated.

As mentioned I might be wrong on trains, but I'm sure you will have to go by underground from Heathrow.

Trev
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

The mainline trains direct to Southampton Central run from London Waterloo and you can get the tube from Heathrow, with a few changes to Waterloo. The hotel is near the cruise ships terminals and is less than a mile from Southampton Station. It is easy to walk but i would think with your luggage in tow it would be better to grad a taxi outside the station
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Thanks Trev & Stan for the info. The tickets don't tell me what terminal we are arriving at Trev. We are flying on United Airlines.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom

United Airlines operate from Terminal 2 at Heathrow. After passing through Customs etc, look for the "Underground" train signs for London and you want the "Waterloo" train station. Fares are a little confusing and much depends on the time you want to travel. Ask for local advice, as it may be better to purchase a one day travel card @ £18, otherwise, expect to pay around £25 each.

At Waterloo you need the train to "Southampton Central". Cost is around £44 each, but ask for local advice. If you are travelling outside of peak times, there are often better rates. Time to Southampton is around 1hr 15mins. Your hotel is less than a mile from the station and an easy level walk. However, if you are taking the "normal" amount of cruise luggage, you may be better off with a taxi. Budget for around £23 taxi cost including up to 4 x 20KG suitcases.

Hope that helps.
          Colin

Comment

Thanks for the advise Colin. What is there to photograph in that area?

Tom

Comment

What is there to photograph in that area?
              Nothing immediately springs to mind for Southampton. Mrs C uses it for shopping and you will pass the West Quay shopping centre on the way to your hotel. I use her shopping time to visit my Canon pro shop, but the prices we pay in the UK wouldn't attract you.

May I suggest leaving Southampton and going to the Beulieu Motor Museum. It is an amazing motor museum, but also has the stately home and grounds, which is open to the public, all set within the New Forest.

A short train ride to Portsmouth will take you to the Spinnaker Tower, with views over Portsmouth, the harbour and the Isle of Wight. Just a short walk away is the Naval Dockyard where you can visit HMS History, HMS Warrior, the Mary Rose, the Submarine Museum and perhaps take a Harbour Cruise.

When are you arriving in the UK and how long do you have before you start your cruise?
              Colin

Comment

We are scheduled to land at 7:10 AM on the 17th of October. We board the ship on the afternoon of the 18th. Back to Southampton on the 25th, leaving London on the 26th. On the 25th we have an excursion planned to Windsor Castle.

Tom

Comment

Tom, if it helps there is a route to Southampton here: https://goo.gl/maps/q4XrcJAkKnrmm7g88

It's basically the Underground (Piccadilly line, then Jubilee Line) to Waterloo followed by the overground to Southampton. On Underground maps, the Piccadilly line is dark blue, the Jubilee is grey. There's a map here: https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube. It's the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Green Park, then the Bakerloo from Green Park to Waterloo. Simple.
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                    We are scheduled to land at 7:10 AM on the 17th of October. We board the ship on the afternoon of the 18th. Back to Southampton on the 25th, leaving London on the 26th. On the 25th we have an excursion planned to Windsor Castle.

Tom
                    Hi Tom,
                    I am a bit confused as you say that you arrive back to Southampton on the 25th yet have a Windsor Castle excursion planned the same day.
                    Have you factored in the time to get from Southampton back to London settle in London then get the 20 or so miles west to Windsor Castle.
                    Is the Windsor excursion starting in Windsor or starting in Londn?
                    What time is the excursion.
                    You can get atrain to Eton and walk up the road to the castle about 20 minutes walk and some nice old buildings on the way.. The old Windsor Station itself is worth having a look at on the way to the Castle.
                    David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                      Hi Tom,
                      I am a bit confused as you say that you arrive back to Southampton on the 25th yet have a Windsor Castle excursion planned the same day.
                      Have you factored in the time to get from Southampton back to London settle in London then get the 20 or so miles west to Windsor Castle.
                      You can get atrain to Eton and walk up the road to the castle about 20 minutes walk and some nice old buildings on the way.. The old Windsor Station itself is worth having a look at on the way to the Castle.
                      We booked the excursion from the ship and they are taking care of the transportation. What we are really interested is seeing some things on the 17th through the 18th before boarding.

Tom

Comment

If the cruise company is looking after the transfer of bags from flight to hotel in Southampton....you could go straight from Heathrow and spend the day in central London before taking the train from London to Southampton.....if you've not been before that would be the best bet in the time available.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                          Hi Tom,
                          The Windsor Castle Tour is when we arrive back into Southampton after the cruise. The Cruise Line will have a bus to take our luggage and us to the Castle, then back to the Airport, where our hotel for the night is located. Our plane for the states leave the next day. As prior to the cruise, we are landing at Heathrow at 7:15 AM on Thursday the 17th. From there we plan on making our way to Southampton via train and we will be toting our luggage with us. Someone mentioned that when we arrive at Waterloo, we should pop our heads out to see Waterloo. What is there to see and photograph in that area? I understand that it may be raining there on Thursday.

Tom

Comment

I understand that it may be raining there on Thursday.
                            Light rain with sunny intervals in London and Southampton for Thursday.
                            Colin

Comment

Around Waterloo you will find London Red Busses amd London Black Cabs. Both synonymous with London. Be careful if you get in a Black Cab as they are very very expensive.
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X