Train to Southampton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Train to Southampton

Expensive...but more comfortable than the tube with no navigation problems as time is at premium.

If at Waterloo....thi is what I'd do....should keep you busy for 4 hours or so and a few hundred shots.

You could use the water taxis down the Thames...Festival Pier to Millbank pier takes you past the houses of parliament....walk north on Millbank - to Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.....cross parliament square to Birdcage Walk....left towards Buckingham Palace...changing of the guard etc (check times)….turn right along the Mall to Trafalgar square...then Northumberland Avenue towards the River and Embankment pier.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I've never used them so I can't vouch for them, but I did a quick search and if it helps there is a 'left luggage' service at Waterloo Station: https://www.left-baggage.co.uk/en/locations
      Brian gives a good comprehensive route.
      But if you don't have that long, turn left after the barriers and head for the large exit at the of the station, exit by the war memorial plaque on the wall. Go down the steps, turn left, follow the hordes of people across the road, under the railway bridge, over the next road and up the steps next to the Royal Festival Hall (Nelson Mandela statue at the top) and you'll be on the South Bank of the river. Go right there along the river as far as you have time - you should see nice London skyline and can walk all the way to Tower Bridge. Keep an eye on the steps down to the river at various points if the tide is out for a different point of view.
      Also, if you go left at the river, be prepared for disappointing pictures of the Houses of Parliament as the Elizabeth Tower (aka Big Ben) is still covered in scaffolding.
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

You haven't mentioned where you are cruising Tom ............. I assume the Med?
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          You haven't mentioned where you are cruising Tom ............. I assume the Med?
          From Southampton to Hamburg to. Rotterdam then to Amsterdam to Le Have (sp) then back to Southampton

Tom

Comment

From Southampton to Hamburg to. Rotterdam then to Amsterdam to Le Have (sp) then back to Southampton
            Good for you Tom. It should be a reasonable trip, unlike the Med where you need to get through the Bay of Biscay. That would have been a very rough crossing at this time of year
            Colin

Comment

Working...
            X