DPP 4 units of measure for cropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPP 4 units of measure for cropping

When cropping images In DPP4 through the EDIT screen, I have discovered that the unit of measure is pixels, I cannot find anyway to change the unit of measure.There is also an "X" and "Y" axis which I do not understand.
    I have read & re-read the manual, but cannot find any reference to tell users how to convert pixels to cm or inches!
    At the moment I use the FILE>CONVERT screen to do a check in proper units of measure.
    Another gripe which I have aired before with Canon, is in DPP3 there was a facility to choose the international standards of A5, A4, & A3 each with portrait & landscape options, not no more! You need to know that ratio 1.41:1 is A4 landscaoe and 1:1.41 is A4 portrait. Mind you the actual ratio has more decimal places than is available in in DPP4 edit /crop screen!!!
    Any one care to comment?
    John

Re: DPP 4 units of measure for cropping

The X & Y axis refers to the position of the cursor and as far as I know the origin convention is that same as that for graphs - ie the origin is the bottom left corner of the image where X=0 and y=0. You can find the same idea in certain Photoshop tools. Personally I have never found a use for this...

Not sure about the cropping issue. I haven't really used the crop tool in DPP4 as I use it solely for raw conversion, any cropping and suchlike I do in PS or lately Affinity Photo. I do remember that DPP3 could do ratios as I did use that on occasion. As far as the unit of measure goes have you checked the preferences options as there may be an option there.

I'll have to check this myself when I'm home...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

This issue has foxed and annoyed me a little as well . I do mainly use DPP as above as a raw converter and to sort through my images , but its good to have options .

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
        The X & Y axis refers to the position of the cursor and as far as I know the origin convention is that same as that for graphs - ie the origin is the bottom left corner of the image where X=0 and y=0.
        Seems I'm slightly off here... Unlike graphs the origin point (x0, y0) is the top left hand corner and the x, y value displayed is the location of the corresponding corner of the crop frame. Still don't have any real use for it though.

I wasn't aware that the A-series crop format had disappeared but it seems an odd omission...

You are right that there is no option to change the unit of measurement. I suspect that this may be related to the fact that a raw file is not an image file, despite how it appears on screen, and that unlike proper image files like JPEG or TIFF it has no fixed PPI resolution setting. IIRC the same is true of other raw converters such as Camera Raw and DXO.
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

But the A series crop was available in DPP3 for RAW files, why not in DPP4?

Comment

Working...
          X