Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coton Manor Northamptonshire.

_H8A0031 by Ian Wheatley, on Flickr

Paid a visit here on Tuesday, only about ten miles from my home. The intention was to put my newly acquired 17-40 f4 L through it paces to see how it performed and here is a sample shot. To say I am pleased with it would be an understatement. Anyway, comments, as always, welcome. Regards, Ian P.

Re: Coton Manor Northamptonshire.

What a beautiful garden. Just rustic enough not to look contrived.

I am also a fan of the 17-40mm. I bought mine over the 16-35mm F2.8, as it was sharper. Granted the MKII and MKIII 16-35mm were an improvement, but I was so pleased with my 17-40mm that I never felt the need to change.
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin. This is just a very small part of it. It also has its own Bluebell Wood and Flamingos roaming free. Well worth a visit. It closes on the 28th for the season and wont reopen until the Bluebells flower in April. Like you, blown away by the 17-40, its the sharpest of the three Ls I own. Regards, Ian.

Comment

Good composition of a lovely garden with a nice reflection in the water. Perhaps the clouds are a bit blown but it's still a very pleasing image

Cheers,
        John

Comment

A nicely balanced image.....I'm also a 17-40 fan.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

A great shot Ian, love it. Always regretted getting the 16/35 rather than the 17/40 ---- one day, one day perhaps!
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Interesting that love for the 17-40 is being shown over the 16-35s.

When I was in the market for a WA zoom I expected it would be a 17-40 due to the many fine images I'd seen taken with it but, thanks to the kindness of Mifsud, I was able to 'road test' a 17-40 f4, 16-35 f2.8 and 16-35 f4. Pixel peeping to carefully check for CA, edge distortion and general sharpness I concluded that the 17-40 was good as was the 16-35 f2.8 but neither could hold a candle to the 16-35 f4 which is what I bought.

Obviously YMMV and you're bound to be happy with whichever of the three you use.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

its a great click. The color and the saturation is perfect.
                by the way is this raw picture?

Comment

Interesting that love for the 17-40 is being shown over the 16-35s.
                  To go back a little in time, my 17-40mm has a date reference of US0200. This relates to manufacture in the Utsunomia factory in February 2004.

I was in the market for a wide-angle zoom and on paper would have opted for the 16-35mm F2.8L, on the basis that the extra stop would always be useful and I always try to buy the best glass I can't afford. I have a relationship with my Pro Shop that I can take some test shots and view them on their computer before I hand over Mrs C's hard earned cash and the results were OK. However, the manager suggested that I try the new 17-40mm F4 and the results appeared better. Just to confirm, we tried another 16-35mm F2.8 and the results were similar. So I bought the 17-40mm f4 and save a pocketful of cash. That was in 2004 and in the meantime the 16-35mm F2.8 was improved with the MKII version and more latterly with the MKIII version.

Last year, a friend wanted a wide-angle zoom and we visited the same pro shop to try the 16-35mm F2.8 and the 16-35mm f4. Cost wasn't an issue (lucky girl!) and when we both viewed the images, we couldn't really discern any difference, but we felt the images from the F4 had the edge, probably due to a slightly better contrast over the F2.8. Consequently she bought the F4, which was considerably less expensive than the F2.8 and to her delight, much lighter than the F2.8.

If I were choosing now, I would probably go for the 16-35mm F4 L, but as my 17-40mm F4 has been producing the goods since 2004, I don't feel any powerful need to change. However, the EF 11-24mm F4L has been making lustful noises in my direction, but I have resisted her call so far!
                  Colin

Comment

Great shot Ian. It has a Fuji Velvia feel to it for all those who remember film. I too have the 17-40mm lens. It's an excellent lens.

Brian
                    http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Thank you all for your kind comments. In making the copy for posting to this forum it wasn't until afterwards that I realised I had not resized the image to the required 800 pixels long side. Surprised it got accepted, or was it altered automatically or by a Mod? Either way it seems to have met with general approval, so thanks to all who took the trouble to comment. Regards, Ian P.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Sugden View Post
                        Great shot Ian. It has a Fuji Velvia feel to it for all those who remember film. I too have the 17-40mm lens. It's an excellent lens.

Brian
                        That takes me back but I used to use Fuji as I liked the saturated colours it provided

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X