Canon M5 Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon M5 Conundrum

I'm a new owner of a Canon M5 mirrorless camera and have noticed something rather strange happening. If I put the camera in Manual mode, and say set the shutter speed to 1/500 and aperture to F8, if I then switch to Tv mode and change the shutter speed to say 1/15, when I return to Manual mode it's changed here also to 1/15. The same applies to Av mode and changing the aperture, once again the change is reflected in the Manual mode. This behavior doesn't happen on my 77D. I can leave Tv set to 1/15, Av set to F5.6 and Manual will still be 1/500 and F8, or whatever I've set it to. This weird behaviour occurs regardless of whether ISO is on Auto or not and with and without Safety Shift enabled. Surely this side of mirrorless and DSLR cannot be so different?

Re: Canon M5 Conundrum

Hello Paula and welcome to the Forum.

It certainly doesn't seem like logical behaviour, or brand consistency to me. Just as an initial response, there are often Firmware updates after a camera is manufactured. It could be that this anomaly has been noticed and rectified with a firmware update.

Try here for the latest version: eos-m5.html
    Colin

Comment

Re: Canon M5 Conundrum

My M5 is on the latest firmware and it does the same. It's a feature!
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
      X