Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coton Manor Lake.

_H8A0052 by Ian Wheatley, on Flickr

Back with this again. Seems I made a slight c**k up with my original post earlier. Anyway here it is again, correctly this time I hope.Taken on my recent visit here with the sole intention of testing my new 17-40. As I said initially shrinking this small for posting here obviously degrades the image which I guess is to be expected but as I now only edit in 16 bit and save in TIFF I wonder if there is any room to improve image quality with the constraints applied here. Glad of any advice from other members. I only ever shoot RAW with the one card loaded in my 5D3, don't see the need for two, as when I edit in LR first and then apply the final tweaks in PS I automatically get a copy of both saved, ie a TIFF and a jpeg. Anyone else work this way I wonder or is it just me? Glad to hear and maybe learn from other members methods. Regards, Ian P.

Re: Coton Manor Lake.

I responded to a thread with this title earlier today but now see that there is no trace of the original posting and my reply. I appreciate that the originator of a thread may edit their entry as they wish but I would not have expected my reply to be completely gone and I am not happy that it has happened.

Robert, can you advise please?
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

I view any image posted here as being a 'taster' for what lies through the click-portal leading to Flickr where it may be better appreciated and a more considered critique given. Those who only submit a direct upload or only post a reduced resolution image on Flickr, well, that's their choice!

I also only save to one in-camera card but transfer images to two different hard drives as soon as I get home (if away for a few days I'll swap SD cards each day so that if one card fails I don't lose everything). Then import to Lightroom (far better at cataloguing than Luminar 3) and save processed images again to two different drives with some uploaded to Flickr where, I'm sure but don't really mind, thousands more unofficial backups are made

Of this image, I like the composition but, on Flickr, it still seems a bit lacking in clarity.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Sorry about the original post. As it could not be viewed, obviously due to an error on my part, I took the decision to delete it myself and start from scratch so to speak. If this was not the correct thing to do I apologise. Comments as usual welcome. Regards, Ian P.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation and apology Ian.

With regard your pic query, I always save both raw and jpeg versions in the camera. It is the raw version that gets edited in LR. The final full size jpeg export gets imported to flickr. When you go to get the BB code from flickr there is an option to select 800 pixels max size suitable for posting here.

I find it helpful to save images in both raw and jpeg as it gives me the ability to review all the pictures immediately outside the camera without doing any processing.
          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Would make good past card or brochure image - just the sort of thing that would catch the eye and appeal to the general public.

Like you I usually shoot RAW and, since I only have one two card camera, nearly always on one card at a time. Processing can start in either Camera Raw, DPP or lately Affinity Photo. Work in progress is always saved as PSD or Affinity format. Final images are always outputted as JPG - I have had far too many incompatibility issues with TIFF - and sized appropriate to end use.

For Flickr and club use I size the files to 1660x1200 max. When downsizing in PS I always use bicubic (smoother) as I found that the bicubic (sharper) makes the images a bit on the 'gritty' side - and that's from 10Mp max! If I need to resharpen then that's a lot more effective than trying to 'de-grit' an image.

With larger image sizes (16Mp+) I avoid trying to go from full size to 1600x1200 in one hit as that seems to be far to big a leap to maintain smooth tone transitions. What I do with these images is use an action that halves the pixel count once or maybe twice and then do a final resize to the desired dimension. I may be deluding myself but I feel that the end result is better than a one size fits all leap...

This picture started life as a full 24Mp processed in DPP and PS then resized as described...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

A nice scene well captured.

Bill.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to offer advice and constructive criticism to my post, will certainly give some of the suggestions a go. Whilst Affinity Photo has a great deal to commend it, and having twice downloaded the trial version myself, I just cannot warm to it, maybe its because I have been a confirmed Adobe user, going right back to the 90s with CS1 and now Adobe CC. Anyway thanks again, regards, Ian P.

Comment

Working...
                X