Brown bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown bear

I would like to share this photo of a brown bear with you guys. It is taken in north-east Finland about a month ago.

I wanted to include the beautiful landscape along with the bear to show a bit of the environment where the bear is living. The solution was to put a camera with wide angle lens on the ground and operate it with a remote control from the hide where I was sitting. I used a simple Hähnel remote control, no fancy mobile app with live view so I just had to keep the button pressed when I saw the bear got into position and hope for the best.

It can be a bit risky to leave expensive photo equipment like that. This time the bear did not care about the camera, but I had a very unexpected change of the weather. It was sunny and clear sky when I set it up in the afternoon so I did not put any protection or cover over the camera. But during the evening the clouds came in and it started to rain. Not just some light rain shower, but heavy rain that lasted for several hours. I did not want to go out in the dark with the bears roaming around so I stayed in the hide until daylight next morning, pretty sure that the camera and lens would be in need of an expensive repair. But guess what? Both camera and lens passed the rain test with flying colours

Canon EOS R+Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM@16mm, f/11@1/250s, ISO 1600
    Svein Nedrehagen - svein@nedrehagen.net

Re: Brown bear

Well captured. Good that your camera survived, there's no way I would have ventured out among the bears either.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Good image. Bears are both shy and unpredictable animals.

Canon will be happy about your review of your EOS R
      anand

Comment

This is an excellent environmental portrait....especially considering the relatively simple technique.
        I'm really pleased with the R too having changed from the 5DMkIV....its good to hear it survived!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have tried this technique on Deer , with a 7D , even in silent mode the Deer picked up the shutter noise and would not settle . Was the camera you used silent ? I know next to nothing about Mirrorless cameras . It`s very hard to get decent images going in blind with this technique , but an element of fun going through them after . Not the best composition , but not half bad . Well done .

Comment

Originally posted by Lepus View Post
            I have tried this technique on Deer , with a 7D , even in silent mode the Deer picked up the shutter noise and would not settle . Was the camera you used silent ? I know next to nothing about Mirrorless cameras . It`s very hard to get decent images going in blind with this technique , but an element of fun going through them after . Not the best composition , but not half bad . Well done .
            Thank you Lepus. Yes, the EOS R can be set up to use electronic shutter which makes it absolutely silent. This is one of the reasons I got this camera, I plan to do more remote photos like this - also with birds. You are right - it is not easy to get good photos this way. There is a lot of trial and error and lots of photos that end up in the bin - sometimes all of them. But then - I have to try something to get photos that are a bit different from everyone else
            Svein Nedrehagen - svein@nedrehagen.net

Comment

I hope you get some more keepers and share with us soon arquebus . They are something different as you say .

Comment

Super environmental shot
                Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Working...
                X