Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Your thoughts on this lens.. - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your thoughts on this lens..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts on this lens..

MPB currently have the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD at a decent price.I've used them a few times now with no complaints/problems.

I'm considering getting one in the next month or so,my idea is to replace a couple of lenses in my bag on most shoots,depending on where I'm going of course.

I think it would replace my 18-55 and 55-250 and so cut a bit of weight and free some space in my bag,that way I'd just need it and my 70-300.

Your thoughts and suggestions regarding it's quality and practicality etc. will be most welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Your thoughts on this lens..

I have no experience of the Tamron lens.
    The general wisdom is that superzooms are a compromise when compared with shorter zooms which are a compromise compared with primes.
    There is not much loss in terms of speed here however.
    I know the 18-55 and 55-250 you have are excellent....so I would be cautious....on the other hand the Tamron may be adequate in every way and in practical terms just as good.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Never used the Tamron, but I had a Sigma 28-300mm macro. absolutely loved that lens. there was a bit of drop of at 300 but was worth it.

Comment

Had the tamron 18 to 270 and sold it to get the tamron 18 to 400. Love the 18 to 400 as a walk around as it gives me the reach I found lacking in the 18 to 270. If you can, I think you would be much happier with the 18 to 400, than the 18 to 270 IMO. See if the store will let you rent out the lens for a day and try them before you buy.

Tom

Comment

Thanks chaps;My budget is very limited hence the 18-270,I get my gear pre-owned.

Tom;Did you have any problems with it,or did you just need the extra reach of the 18-400?My 70-300 is doing a great job so far in terms of quality,also if you account for my crop sensor and the bit of extra reach effect.

I can't see many times when I'd need to go up to 400.Like I said,the 18-270 would allow me to leave two lenses out of my bag on most occasions.

Comment

Now I've had more time to read the online reviews for the lens,around 60% seem to effectively say"avoid".So it looks like I'll give it a miss and perhaps save up for something better.

Thanks chaps for taking the time to give me your opinions though,greatly appreciated as ever.

Comment

So it looks like I'll give it a miss and perhaps save up for something better.
              A wise conclusion Roy.

It is relatively inexpensive and hugely convenient, so on the face of it has a lot going for it. But, a 15x zoom has a lot of compromises in its design and manufacture, whilst still trying to keep down to a price. On that basis I would be uncomfortable looking at a zoom much more than 4 or 5x. You never know which of your future images is going to be so superb that you need to blow it up to the size of a wall, so glass is king and go for the best you can, even if you have to wait for the right used deal to come up.
              Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin,very wise words and much appreciated.

I was just "testing the water" as it were before deciding whether to buy the lens,or not.The obvious conclusion now is "not".
                Last edited by Guest; 02-10-2019, 22:38.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
                  MPB currently have the Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD at a decent price.I've used them a few times now with no complaints/problems.

Thanks.
                  Don't have this one but I do have it's predecessor; the USD version. It seems a decent performer and serves it's purpose as a 'universal' walkabout lens. Performance as far as I can tell is acceptable up 200mm though it does drop off sharpness wise a bit beyond that. The short end does have a bit of barrel distortion though that may not show up much unless you are doing something architectural or with a coastal horizon. Of course your definition of acceptable may be stricter than mine. Personally I'm happy to team it up with a body and wide zoom for a simple to carry kit. I will say that as yet I haven't teamed it up with the 80D so not sure how it would perform on a high count sensor, 10Mp is most it's been on so far...

For the best in resolution then shorter zoom ranges or primes are the better bet but an added inconvenience when want minimum encumbrance with maximum versatility...

FWIW there are some examples here, here, here and here...
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I cannot see the point Roy, if you are looking at replacing two smaller lenses with this you might as well get rid of your larger lens too as the extra 30mm in the scheme of things is not really worth bothering with, you could then add a teleconverter to give you more stretch when needed, all be it at the expense of the aperture.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Nigel and Tony,like I said earlier,the majority of online reviews for the lens aren't exactly complimentary,so I've now decided against it.

I'll stick with the kit I've got because none of the lenses have ever let me down.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2019, 15:51.

Comment

Working...
                      X