Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Mac RAM upgrade - 2

Hi all,

Have just purchased, after much deliberation, a new 27in iMac - very pleased with it . As with Colin I am looking to upgrade the RAM- currently has 2x4Gb. I am looking to increase to 16Gb and will purchase 2x8Gb RAM from crucial when they have it in stock. My question to those in the know - If I add the 2x8GB to the existing 2x4Gb will it work OK as it will have a total RAM of 24. Does it matter that its not 8, 16, 32, 64Gb?

As an aside - those that have purchased RAM from Crucial have they purchased it direct from them or a third party seller? I only ask as Crucial don't appear to have the memory they recommend available online - and can't suggest a supplier?

Thanks

Guy
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/123741420@N06/

Re: I Mac RAM upgrade - 2

I know nought about Mac computers, but Apple's spec for the iMac 27 says it has 4 SODIMM slots, so you could use yor existing memory in tandem with the new - but Apple also say "can be configured to 16, 32 or 64 GB" which to me implies they expect the memory to be in matched units. I seem to recall (from a long way back) advice that processors worked most efficiently with matched memory, but that may not necessarily be true for modern machines.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I upgraded my 2011 iMac which i think came with only 2x2GB and added 2x8GB to the vacant slots.
      It now has 20GB with no problems
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have a 2013 iMac which had 2*4GB. Last year I added another 2*8GB, as it said the memory modules have to be in pairs.

John

Comment

Very well done Guy on your new purchase. Even with a measly 8Gb, it is a flying machine and with an extra 16gb it'll be quicker than you can blink.

As long as you buy and fit in matched pairs, all will work well and after installation you can go into "About this Mac > Memory and it will show you what is installed and working. Buy direct from Crucial, if they don't have it in stock, either wait until they do, or upgrade further to a higher capacity. You can buy RAM individually from Crucial, or a kit of two. There is little difference in the price, so it may be worth checking both options for availability.

If you haven't done this upgrade before, check out their video, you won't believe how easy it is.

Good luck.
          Colin

Comment

Thanks all.
            Colin when you say matched pairs do you mean that existing 2x4gb and new 2x8Gb Should work together ok?
            Guy
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/123741420@N06/

Comment

I think I remember that on the crucial website you can put in your model number and it will give you the options available.
              It did when I upgraded mine from 4Gb to 20Gb in 2011
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                I think I remember that on the crucial website you can put in your model number and it will give you the options available.
                That’s what I did and added 2*8Gb to the existing 2*4Gb, giving 24Gb total.

John

Comment

Colin when you say matched pairs do you mean that existing 2x4gb and new 2x8Gb Should work together ok?
                  Yes.

It's a bit like tyres on a car. You can have different one's on the front and rear, but you need matched pairs on each axle.
                  Colin

Comment

Crucial have an application you can download that checks your system and tells you exactly what is appropriate for your hardware. It’s very helpful...
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
                    X