Old Postcards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Postcards

On Ebay I have found a load of postcards showing what the town I live in looked like in the late 1880’s to the early 1900’s.

I would love to do a ‘Then’ and ‘Now’ small book.

Would I be allowed to publish these old postcards?
    Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Re: Old Postcards

Don't see why not
    I did a lot of stuff way back in the film days that was used for post cards, was quite a good little earner at the time
    The only problem would be copyright - who owns the pictures, might be long ago but I bet someone will come out the woodwork claiming a right, relative or something
    Last edited by Trev B; 18-10-2019, 20:50.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I suspect you would, providing that you credited the original source of the postcards. However it may be difficult to identify the copyright holder of the postcard images should you need to do so. For a book for private consumption that may not be an issue. However if you had aspirations of producing a commercial offering you may need to seek professional advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

According to the DACS website:-

"Photographs made before 1st June 1957
        These photographs were originally protected for a period of 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which they were taken (regardless of whether they were published or not)"

And:-

"Photographs taken before 1 July 1912
        The photographer owned the copyright in the photograph, unless it was taken under commission for “good or valuable consideration” (money or any equivalent payment). In such circumstances the commissioner owned the copyright."

I reckon you would probably be OK to publish - you could always give a credit to the photographer named on the postcard (if there is one).

CAVEAT - I'm no lawyer!
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice!
          Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Working...
          X