Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1D iv settings?

Hi All,

As the now proud owner of a 1D iv I've just come across the bewildering array of settings - thought the 7D had enough, but the 1D So, I thought best bet to cut some corners - ask you lot out there in EOS Land what settings you've changed in the C.Fn section.

Thanks for any help,
    Neil
    Neilly's Flickr Page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Re: 1D iv settings?

Neil - when I borrowed a 1D4 I left all the CF settings as-is. I'd learnt a lesson from diving in and changing the focus setting on my 7D and wondering why it didn't perform. Did a reset and all was well.

There are a number of articles on CPN which may guide you. Also download the whitepapers (particularly the 'AI Servo AF Custom Functions & ISO Speed Settings Guide').

Comment

I'm gradually working my way through all the settings - good advice to look on the CPN site - I like the way they explain everything, too. I also took time to join because I'm now eligible for the silver standard.

TTFN,
      Neil
      Neilly's Flickr Page
      Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Neilly View Post
        Hi All,

As the now proud owner of a 1D iv I've just come across the bewildering array of settings - thought the 7D had enough, but the 1D So, I thought best bet to cut some corners - ask you lot out there in EOS Land what settings you've changed in the C.Fn section.

Thanks for any help,
        Neil
        This might help :-

A community for sports photography, sports action, and photojournalism for the professional photographer, student photographer and hobbyist.

Edit:- And this:- http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net/T...cus_guide.html

Another Edit:- And this:- http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=861454

Gerry
        Last edited by Greecian; 16-01-2011, 09:34. Reason: Addition of website

Comment

<B>
          Hello Neil

I have come into this a little bit late, because I wanted to go through all of my settings and give reasons why I have deviated from the "Standard" settings. The black settings on the left seem to be what most people have used and where I have gone different, they are in red with explanations. This is the result of over a year of experimentation, talking to Canon, other experts and researching the net. I change just one setting at a time and reviewed it's effect - if it helps my shooting, it stays, if not, it goes. They may not be right for you, but they work well for me. Hope it helps:

I-Exposure
          1-0
          2-0 -1 Less noise with whole ISO stop increments.
          3 -Enable. I have limited High ISO to 6400 (for normal shooting)
          4-0
          5-0
          6-0
          7-1
          8-2
          9-Disable-(All Modes Usable) Saw no reason to restrict them.
          10-Disable Saw no reason to restrict them.
          11-0
          12-Disable (Use full range of shutter speeds)
          13-Enable ( Just tied it in with my lenses - f2.8 to f45)
          14-Disable
          15-1
          16-0
          17-0

II-Image/Flash exp/Disp
          1-0
          2-0 3 Noise Reduction disabled I apply it post capture when I need it
          3-0
          4-0 Auto lighting optimizer disabled ( Causes noise in some situations)
          5-0
          6-1
          7-0
          8-1
          9-0
          10-0

III-Autofocus/Drive
          1-0
          2-0 medium slow
          3-0
          4-0 ContinuousAF Tracking
          5-0 Focus search off Seems quicker if I re-acquire manually
          6-0
          7-0 Adjust by lens I reasoned that if all lanses need changing equally, there is something wrong with the camera.
          8-2
          9-1
          10-0 1-19 points Works for me
          11-1 Only while * is depressed For back button focussing
          12-0
          13-0 On (when focus achieved) Visual confirmation helps
          14-1
          15-1 IR (AF assist beam only The IR one only works better for me with my fast lenses
          16-1 0 I just like the same for both
          17-0
          18-Disable ...................enable HS 10 shots, LS 5 shots This works better for me.
          19-Disable...................enable Limit to 25 shots. I thought a limit was sensible
          against accidental shooting.

IV-Operations/Other
          1-3
          2-1 .. 0 Disable Can't remember the reason for this, may be tied with back butto focus!!
          3-0
          4-0
          5-0
          6-0
          7-0
          8-0
          9-0
          10-0
          11-1 .......0 Default (I haven't used video yet)
          12-0
          13-Disable
          14-1
          15-0
          16-0

The 1D MKIV works pretty well out of the box, but when you dial it in for your shooting style, it is an awesome piece of kit.

Colin
          </B>
          Last edited by colin C; 16-01-2011, 11:15.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            IV-Operations/Other
            1-3
            2-1 .. 0 Disable Can't remember the reason for this, may be tied with back butto focus!!
            3-0
            4-0
            5-0
            6-0
            7-0
            8-0
            9-0
            10-0
            11-1 .......0 Default (I haven't used video yet)
            12-0
            13-Disable
            14-1
            15-0
            16-0
            Number 2 of the above allows you to switch AE lock (*) with AF-ON. So if you're not comfortable using AF-ON for back button focus you can enable number 2 and use the AE lock (*) button. This of course means AE lock (*) now operates when you use the AF-ON button.

Comment

Many thanks for the memory prompt Glen.

I used that for my 1D MKIII, but on the 1DMKIV, the AF-On button is slightly more prominent, so I kept the option available, just in case I needed it.

By the way, your next post wil be your 1,000th, congratulations in advance. Content is far more important than quantity, but in your case, you have managed both.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Many thanks for the memory prompt Glenn.
                No problem

By the way, your next post wil be your 1,000th, congratulations in advance. Content is far more important than quantity, but in your case, you have managed both.
                Thank you

Well my settings are very similar to Colin's, so that tells you that either I've just copied all of Colin's settings or we both shoot wildlife...

The only major difference in my settings is that I have C.Fn IV - 3 set to 4 to allow me to change the ISO using the thumb wheel on the back of the camera. I very rarely change AV while shooting wildlife but I could be changing ISO every 5 minutes if the sun's disappearing behind clouds all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                  I have C.Fn IV - 3 set to 4 to allow me to change the ISO using the thumb wheel on the back of the camera. I very rarely change AV while shooting wildlife but I could be changing ISO every 5 minutes if the sun's disappearing behind clouds all day.
                  Hah .......... too much thinking, not enough doing!

That wouldn't work for me, because I shoot in manual and need control over the TV and AV. Not so ............ I have just been playing around and what it does is swap the two stage ISO control with the Av control. So I can still set up AV on th previous ISO system and change ISO on the rear thumb wheel.

Never afraid to crib good ideas, cheers buddy, can't wait to try it out in the field ............ probably during 2012 the way the weather is at the moment.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Hah .......... too much thinking, not enough doing!
                    Hmmmmm????

Not so ............ I have just been playing around and what it does is swap the two stage ISO control with the Av control. So I can still set up AV on th previous ISO system and change ISO on the rear thumb wheel.
                    Correct! Sorry, should have given more detail about it, although I thought people might RTFM

probably during 2012 the way the weather is at the moment.
                    Yeah the weather is flipping awful at the moment. Collette and I went to HCT yesterday and what a gray day it was.....

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
                      although I thought people might RTFM
                      If the manual was any flippin good, we wouldn't need to rely on each others experience and experimentation on Forums such as this.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

Thanks for all that work - I'll be sorting everything out tomorrow - been to bloomin' busy doing that decorating thing! Got to agree with you about the manuals, too. Pretty naff!

TTFN,
                        Neil
                        Neilly's Flickr Page
                        Facebook

Comment

I knew I'd seen this thread somewhere. Just found it on a search. Belated thanks, just been tweaking some settings.

Comment

Working...
                          X