Pro Grade Paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro Grade Paper

Aside from using Canon's own paper in Canon's own printers (does that negate the need to install ICC profiles?) what other paper do folk use. I've used HP and Fujifilm Premium Plus. The HP is okay and the Fujifilm is actually very good.

Re: Pro Grade Paper

I use Permajet as it matches the standard Epson ICC
    ef-r

Comment

Another vote for Permajet 271 gsm and genuine Canon inks in a Canon IP6700D printer using the 'Photo Paper Pro' setting in the printer's properties as directed by Permajet.

I get excellent results printing through 'Qimage'

Gerry

Comment

@MX5 - Even using Canon's own paper when printing ou should be using the correct profile for the paper/ink you are using.

@Brian - What do you mean the Permajet paper matches the standard Epson ICC? Do you mean you have the Permajest profiles for your Epson printer? I'm sure you can download standard permajet ones free although they do custom profiles free for their range of excellent papers.

@ Grecian - Is that the Permajet Oyster? THey do a couple of papers that are 271gsm. A lovely paper although their art papers are really fabulous. like Permajet Portfolio and Portrait. You really need to be getting a custom profile to get the very best quality (permajet provide them free of charge).

I use Fotospeed papers now because my Epson R2400 has a CIS system from them. Similar papers to Permajet - just different names :)
        5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_Jim View Post
          @MX5 - Even using Canon's own paper when printing ou should be using the correct profile for the paper/ink you are using.

@Brian - What do you mean the Permajet paper matches the standard Epson ICC? Do you mean you have the Permajest profiles for your Epson printer? I'm sure you can download standard permajet ones free although they do custom profiles free for their range of excellent papers.

@ Grecian - Is that the Permajet Oyster? THey do a couple of papers that are 271gsm. A lovely paper although their art papers are really fabulous. like Permajet Portfolio and Portrait. You really need to be getting a custom profile to get the very best quality (permajet provide them free of charge).

I use Fotospeed papers now because my Epson R2400 has a CIS system from them. Similar papers to Permajet - just different names :)
          Both Oyster & Gloss, Jim.

If Portfolio and Portrait are heavyweight papers i.e over 280gsm, I seem to remember that the IP6700D can't handle anything over that.

I'll have a look at Fotospeed & custom profiles.

Gerry

Comment

Jim - I select the Canon paper I'm using from the drop down list. Doesn't that select the correct ICC? Or do you calibrate and make your own ICC? Guess I need some help here?

Comment

The ICC for Permajet Gloss is the same as for Epson Premium Gloss. Matt seems to work OK too. I do the eyeball test - hold the print by the calibrated monitor - if it looks the same it is OK.

On this matter I print some on Mat paper - the soft pictures such as pastels where there is no high contrast areas. Put in a frame this really enhances the percieved quality of the prints
              ef-r

Comment

I'm another fan of permajet i use gloss/Oyster and find i get really good whites from the prints, I use epson 1400 A3+ printer and i also use epson papers But once used I'll replace it with permajets, It surprise me how different papers can give you better results.

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks all. I note that Permajet is more Epson orientated than Canon, sadly there are no ICC profiles for my Pixma Pro 9000Mk2 ... yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Greecian View Post
                    Both Oyster & Gloss, Jim.

If Portfolio and Portrait are heavyweight papers i.e over 280gsm, I seem to remember that the IP6700D can't handle anything over that.

I'll have a look at Fotospeed & custom profiles.

Gerry
                    Portfolio is only 200gsm but a beautiful textured paper. I have an i6700 too but the other half uses that for her crafting. if you use Permajet, they do custom profiles. If you use compatibles, tyou just need to make sure you use the same manufacturers ink so the profile will remain consistennt.
                    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by George Bear View Post
                      Jim - I select the Canon paper I'm using from the drop down list. Doesn't that select the correct ICC? Or do you calibrate and make your own ICC? Guess I need some help here?
                      No George. the paper type tells the printer what surface the printer is working on and will change the overall amount of ink it uses. The ICC profile is a file that allows the printer to match the colour correctly.

If usng Photoshop, and printing on say Permajet Oyster (a semi gloss/lustre) paper, I set my paper type to Lustre or Gloss and then I switch off colour management on the printer and I also set the printer to a high quality. In Photoshop I let photoshop manage the colout and select the profile for the paper/printer I'm using (Permajet allow you to download profiles for many printers)

The paper type is one small part of the process but is not the ICC profile.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                        The ICC for Permajet Gloss is the same as for Epson Premium Gloss. Matt seems to work OK too. I do the eyeball test - hold the print by the calibrated monitor - if it looks the same it is OK.

On this matter I print some on Mat paper - the soft pictures such as pastels where there is no high contrast areas. Put in a frame this really enhances the percieved quality of the prints
                        Brian yes if it works great but you may find that a custom profile will help. the results are more consistent also with a proper profile.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                          Thanks all. I note that Permajet is more Epson orientated than Canon, sadly there are no ICC profiles for my Pixma Pro 9000Mk2 ... yet.
                          Ask them.... They will send you a free one if you buy their paper (as does Fotospeed)

Generic profiles are just that. if you want the best from your printer you need a custom profile to match the ink and paper you use.

Comment

Jim - I will ask Permajet. Their web site says you have to part with £20 ... but I prefer free

Comment

Portfolio is only 200gsm but a beautiful textured paper. I have an i6700 too but the other half uses that for her crafting. if you use Permajet, they do custom profiles. If you use compatibles, tyou just need to make sure you use the same manufacturers ink so the profile will remain consistennt.
                              Thankyou for that Jim.

Gerry

Comment

Working...
                              X