Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen calibration problem

Hi

I run Windows XP on a CTX monitor and the relevant software I have problems with are: Photoshop CS3; Canon DPP and Zoombrowser. I even occasionally use Google Picassa.

Having forked out for CS3, I was keen to use that for everything. I calibrated with a Huey Pro, but when using CS3, my own prints, and any done from online labs were coming out darker. So I started looking at the Canon supplied software, and it was certainly giving me darker images which were at least much nearer what my printed output was showing. However, despite the recent articles in the EOS magazine, DPP is not quite Photoshop.

What I can't get my head around is this: how can the problem be a monitor calibration problem when the exact same files are being displayed quite differently on different programmes? (If, for example, my monitor was set for too high blue, I would expect CS3, DPP, Zoombrowser etc ALL to show my files as 'too blue'.)

Anyone else ever come across a similar problem?

Re: Screen calibration problem

Check in the preferences and options from the various applications that they are using the screen profile that you think you are using. Somteimes, you need to select the profile manually

Worth a check

Martin

Comment

Martin

That was a great tip! What confused me was that in Adobe Bridge, where my workflow starts, there appears to be no mention of profiles, but there is in Photoshop itself - I think they may then keep themselves synchronised!

I had previously set Adobe 1998 on my camera AND in Photoshop, thinking that that made sense, but now I've altered Photoshop to my monitor profile and there are definite improvements. I wouldn't say that I was home and dry, yet, but you have helped me make a massive step along the way.

Thanks
      Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,

A word of warning. Don't confuse colour-space profiles (aRGB, sRGB, Prophoto RGB, etc.) with device profiles (i.e. your monitor profile).

Your monitor profile should be set as the default profile using Control Panel | Display. Photoshop will then use it by default.
        Your working colour-space profile should be set in Photoshop to (in your case) aRGB.
        Never ever, ever, ever try to use a monitor profile as a working colour-space profile. Similarly never ever, ever, etc. use aRGB as your monitor profile.

If you've calibrated and profiled your monitor you need to use a matching printer profile.

And finally make sure that Adobe Gamma Loader is disabled, otherwise you will be double profiling.

Regards,

Stuart
        Comment and Criticism welcome.
        Edits OK as long as they're not B&W conversions.

Comment

Working...
        X