Still Life on a Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still Life on a Budget

I go to a photography class that does still life and I started on this week's homework - a flower.

This is my first result - didn't want to mess with a good flower so this is an old one. I think it has come out very well for a rough setup picture.

The picture isn't here for C & C as no pp has been done apart from a square crop and sharpening.

5DII, iso 100, f32, 30 seconds, 180 macro, daylight

ef-r

Re: Still Life on a Budget

The reason that I have posted it is that it was a very low budget production. Cost - less than 1p as I had everything already

See the picture below for the setup

50d, 24-105@40,1/40, f4, iso3200 - yes it shocked me to get such a good picture at iso 3200

ef-r

Comment

So let me go through what I used:

1. Black cloth as background - this could have been anything black - card, paper w.h.y.
      2. The light is an inspection lamp from the garage - this could be anylamp with a cool temp (eco) bulb
      3. A picture frame that I cellotaped the stalk of the flower to so as to get the right angle. This could be anything that stands up without support
      4. Piece of card with a piece of paper glued to it and acting as a replector. Instead of paper you could use silver foil (Baco foil perhaps). You can see the effect of the reflector in that the flower stalk is lit, even though it is on the other side of the flower from the light and should be in shadow
      5 Sheet of A4 black paper cellotaped to the inspection lamp o create a snoot, stopping the light going anywhere except on the flower

The camera was mounted on the tripod and the whole lot was on the dining room table (I turned the room light off before taking the picture.

This shows that you dont have to have expensive flashes and reflectors - the light from the light is very soft.

I have in the lamp a 20w daylight eco bulb which I got from Homebase for less than £5
      Last edited by briansquibb; 11-02-2011, 22:51.
      ef-r

Comment

nice post brian. It helps to show how you can achieve some good basic photos like this with a minimum of cost if you cannot afford to splash out on some kit otherwise.
        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Awesome post and great shot, now I will put my Blue Peter expertise to the test...now where did I put that egg carton and double sided sellotape, I don't suppose anyone's got a pair of Vals old Knickers???

Joanne
          To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Originally posted by mammarazzi View Post
            I don't suppose anyone's got a pair of Vals old Knickers???

Joanne
            A gentleman never tells
            ef-r

Comment

Thanks for the post Brian, it has given me ideas of how I can improve my jerry rig that siet on out dining room table now and then. I have a heavy duty 'helping hands' device that I use in model making which holds flowers etc. when I take the pictures I find that easyier as I can adjuct the angle and position very simply.

PS I like the picture, my main comment is that I feel the yellow stamesn on the rhs are a little burnt out or lacking in clarity but you have retained the detail in the white on the edge of the petals, you may aso want to look for a second reflector / light to throw just a smidging on light to reduce the density of the heavy shadow behind the petals at the top of the flower. That is assuming you don't want to us PP

Comment

Muscat - I hadn't done any pp on this - the idea was to show how to capture the basic picture at minimal cost. I think there are all sorts of ways that it could be changed - for example - 2 lights, more reflectors, silver foil for the reflector, gold and other colours for the reflector, takeaway dish. The message I am trying to give is that it is not necessary to spend lots of money to get a good picture.

I shall be raiding the re-cycle box - for example I have a large cardboard box full of cardboard boxes. I have ideas for them which I shall show if they work.

PS Here is a worked version of the flower which SWMBO likes - this is going down the route of producing a painting from a photo

ef-r

Comment

A very informative post Brian.

A very good shot and great step through of how you did it.

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                    The picture isn't here for C & C as no pp has been done apart from a square crop and sharpening.
                    Ooops Brian missed this line

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                      Ooops Brian missed this line
                      no problem
                      ef-r

Comment

Thanks for showing the diy method.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Brian

Just found this post! Very informative for me, as I've been wondering how to setup for shots like this. Great to hear it doesn't have to cost too much either!

Many thanks - great for a beginner like me to be pointed in the right direction.

Cheers, Mike
                          flickr
                          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Brian
                            I didn't think the image needed any post work - Original looks very good - I'd prefer the stalk coming in from the bottom corner or below but that's maybe just me. Really nice and well explained.
                            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Good post, but let's keep this amongst us. Shots like the second one, showing the light from your garage and all sure do take the magic out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X