Ooops Brian missed this line
    no problem

Default Re: Still Life on a Budget

Thanks for showing the diy method.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Brian

Just found this post! Very informative for me, as I've been wondering how to setup for shots like this. Great to hear it doesn't have to cost too much either!

Many thanks - great for a beginner like me to be pointed in the right direction.

Cheers, Mike
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : 50 f1.4 : 10-22 : Manfrotto CX055Pro3

Brian
    I didn't think the image needed any post work - Original looks very good - I'd prefer the stalk coming in from the bottom corner or below but that's maybe just me. Really nice and well explained.
    5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Good post, but let's keep this amongst us. Shots like the second one, showing the light from your garage and all sure do take the magic out of it.

Member*

The end result has flaws which have already been accidentally pointed out by Muscat.

IMHO For a ‘budget lighting DIY tutorial’ type post to work well, I think it really needs to be accompanied by at least one well exposed image of the subject, from the entire shoot. Preferably with a minimum of PP, so we can evaluate it properly, eg focus solely on the lighting.

Obviously I appreciate the OP spending the time to posting his opinions and setup.

Trev

Smile Re: Still Life on a Budget

Quote Originally Posted by briansquibb View Post
    Muscat - I hadn't done any pp on this - the idea was to show how to capture the basic picture at minimal cost. I think there are all sorts of ways that it could be changed - for example - 2 lights, more reflectors, silver foil for the reflector, gold and other colours for the reflector, takeaway dish. The message I am trying to give is that it is not necessary to spend lots of money to get a good picture.

I shall be raiding the re-cycle box - for example I have a large cardboard box full of cardboard boxes. I have ideas for them which I shall show if they work.

PS Here is a worked version of the flower which SWMBO likes - this is going down the route of producing a painting from a photo

Hi Brian
    You have certainly got the attention here to show what can be done and make them think!
    Though you were not looking for comment on the picture only on the setup the discussion here has encouraged you to post this pp image and I would like to comment that this is the better for the heavy shadow that was left in the original.
    Thank you for the suggestions and I hope that every one will develop ideas from this, I certainly have and will post some when I have tried and tested.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12