Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II

I recently purchased a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II. I was looking for a quality printer as I’m getting asked for prints. Until recently the Pixma Pro’s had £100 cash back which always helps. I have had issues with Epsons in the past (both my own and supporting friends and family) so didn’t consider an Epson.

Initially, I opted for Canon’s own PhotoPaper Plus Glossy II A3 and Fujifilm’s Premium Plus Pro A4. I shall try Ilford, Hahnemühle and PermaJet paper in the coming months and see if I have a preference.

I will buy cartridges when they are on offer … as it needs 8 cartridges and a full set will cost £80. These will get consumed at different rates, the photo-magenta and photo-cyan going fastest. I worked out that an A3+ print will cost about £4 (in terms of paper, ink and a contribution towards the hardware). So I know what to charge people as a raw cost.

The printer is connected to an Iomega Network Drive which provides a print spooler and allows the printer to be shared. You still need to connect a computer directly to the printer to interrogate the maintenance features. But the cartridge bank has 8 LEDS which indicate the status of each cartridge, so a direct connection isn’t strictly necessary. The printer comes with software, including the drivers and plugins (Canon Easy-PhotoPrint) for contemporary versions of Photoshop and DPP. There are two versions a ‘consumer’ version and ‘professional’ version … both can co-exist and you can select which best fits your requirement on the day. The printer has two USB sockets, one on the back that serves as the connection with the print spooler, and the other on the front where you can plug in a PictBridge compatible camera. I have tried plugging my 7D and printing direct from RAW. You get a surprising amount of control from the cameras menu system; such as page layout, quality, size, effects, adjustments (brightness, levels), et seq.

The quality of the prints is stunning, far better (as would be expected) than my office multifunction (a HP Officejet 7310) which itself produces acceptable prints (especially if you temporarily replace the colour cartridge with a photo colour cartridge when doing a print run). With the Pixma, there appears to be much more detail with blacker blacks and more vibrant colours. I’ve yet to try printing OS maps on waterproof (I use Toughprint) paper on the Pixma, probably no point except as an intellectual exercise.

The printer itself is very well constructed (it’s heavy) and can support a number of print pathways. It can print on card and CD/DVDs. It runs fairly quiet when printing and I find the print time acceptable.

So all in all, I would thoroughly recommend this printer.

Re: Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II

Update: Cashback cheque came yesterday and is in bank now.

Comment

Comparing an inkjet to a laser is akin to a Diamond being compared to Cubic Zirconia :)
      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_Jim View Post
        Comparing an inkjet to a laser is akin to a Diamond being compared to Cubic Zirconia :)
        Jim the Officejet is an Inkjet ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
          Jim the Officejet is an Inkjet ;-)
          Sorry my fault :) the all in one's try to do everything but generally can't as well as a dedicated machine like the one you have. the number and quality of the inks, ability to use different types of papers and profiles the drivers are better and to an effect the resolution all play a part.

You have a fine machine :) Although I must admit having had an Epson fior a few years and it's still producing high quality images I can't see past their printers.... The new R3000 or the R4900 look amazing!
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I'll still hang onto the officejet ... I need to print documents and the PIXMA would be very expensive. I print lots of maps for just one trip ... so again the officejet will do that. But for quality prints the PIXMA does that.

I've seen what Epsons can do and yes it's top drawer. It's just most of the printer problems friends and family (and me a while ago) have had ... involved Epsons.

Comment

Absolutely! I would not get rid at all! I bought a laser to do all that stuff.

I would bet the problems would have been on the cheaper line - just the same as I had an issue with an old canon :) My fault to be fair for using poor compatibles!

Both have outstanding products for printing.

Comment

Hi - just read your review. My pro A3+ Epson has died and so I decided to invest in the Pixma 9000 Pro Mk2, even though it is a few years old now.... do you still have your positive views after 18 months of use? Regards Gary
                www.garywhite-photography.com
                Gary White, MPhil
                Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                X