Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40D problem :-(

Hi all,

I was out on Wednesday night doing a bit of night time football photography, The camera was set to manual ISO set to H (3200), shutter at 250th and between f4 and 5.6. I was shooting RAW so I could recover as much as I could from the shots.

I took 290 shots on the night but to my surprise there was 5 that came out slightly wrong (attached).

The shutter count on the camera is at 25k, as you can see the pictures weren't one after the other. I haven't tested it since Wednesday.

Thanks

Paul
    Attached Files

Re: 40D problem :-(

I have seen this before some years ago and I recall the problem was with the memory card. Just a few bad spots on a bargain card that the camera couldn't write to properly. Changed the card to a Sandisc and no problems after that.

Hope yours is equally simple.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I hope so, it was an 8gb Kingston. must admit not had the problem when I have used the sandisc ones

Comment

Interestingly, the problem I was involved in was with a Kingston Card. Purely a coincidence I am sure ............................

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Very interesting, thought they were all made in the same factory in china

Comment

had this prob with my 7D, it was the memory card. We believe it was caused by the card going from a cold enviroment to a warm one ie from my camera to my pocket on a winters day.

A full format solved the problem but I wouldn't trust the card and replaced it on the basis of better to be safe than sorry.
            Dave

Comment

I've had that too with a sinngle image on a card.... Not had it since.
              5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Flash memory will eventually wear out. I think it lasts for something like 1,000,000 operations, less for lower quality products. For most applications, that would be far more than the life of the the equipment it is used on. The company I work for use flash memory to store the configuration of telecoms equipment and we are beginning to see flash card failures where equipmment has been in the field for several years, but it is written to thousands of times a day. For photography, you wouldn't normally be able to reach the end life of flash memory, the capacity would become redundant before the card failed.

A possible cause of this particular problem is a counterfit card. Kingston are a highly respectable quality memory manufacturer, as good as Sandisk, but all manufactures suffer from counterfit problems, and all manufacturers suffer from random failures. Have a look at the kingston web site. I think flash memory will have a lifetime warranty, so if it fails, raise a RMA on their web site and they will probably replace it...assuming it has a lifetime guarantee, and it's genuine. They would let you know if the card was a fake.Another possible cause is contamination of the contacts, but less likely.
                For serious work, I always use Sandisk, but I also have a range of cards, including Kingston. In 14 years using flash, I have only ever had one flash card fail, a Viking card, which was replaced for free.

Comment

Quick update on this.

After some testing the card didn’t seem to be the issue as similar results were being experienced with other cards (Sandisk).
                  The problem I was experiencing above was found when using Lightroom (3) to import and manage my photo's, I used the auto import function within Lightroom to get the photo's from the cards, when the problem happened this weekend I was shooting RAW's. After letting Lightroom import the image's I went through them and found 1 out of 60 odd was corrupt (as the above examples) when looking at it in Lightroom (even when trying to process the image in LR or trying to edit it with Photoshop it was still corrupt) however when opening the photo direct from the card with Adobe Camera RAW the image was fine.
                  In light of this new development I am now going to have to adapt my way of working, I will now have to use Windows to copy the images from the card to my HDD and they just use LR to add them to the catalogue - This method was tested and works (Thanks to my Dad for the suggestions)

So in short it would appear LR was corrupting some of the images on import. (I did also try to optimize the catalogue and also create a new catalogue and the results were still the same)

What I did notice (Not sure if this will make sense to anyone) after auto importing the images and then viewing the corrupted one in the library view, if I was to swap to the developer view the image would appear correct (I.E. not corrupt) for a second or so and then it's as if LR was adding the corrupt effect

Thanks for all your help and advise.

Paul

Comment

I’ve always adopted a copy card (either in camera or in a reader) to HDD approach. IMHO as it works for me. You know exactly where you are with using a file manager (be it in Windows or Unixii). I’ve had to help a few people who have used a photo aware application to import images and for reasons that often aren’t logical, sensible or even explainable it can get it wrong. Having copied to HDD I then synchronise a backup AND copy the latest files to a working area. It’s in this working area I allow the application access to.

But glad you have sussed it!

Comment

Glad to here it was not the 40D at fault.
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                      Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                      Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Me too, was a little worried

Comment

Me too as mine was out with it's 17-40 on a very wet and gloomy day yesterday ----- Click

Comment

Working...
                          X