Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 EF 50mm f1.8 AKA nifty fifty. - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EF 50mm f1.8 AKA nifty fifty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EF 50mm f1.8 AKA nifty fifty.

Ok, here is one of mine, I love the way the colours are presented.

Comment

I had the thrifty fifty and it fell apart without being dropped. Maybe it was faulty to begin with ?

Very nice picture Petros, lovely make up job, a cut above much of the kiddies face painting I’ve ever seen. The colours compliment the blue eyes very well. A touch more DOF and slight adjustment to the pose and I’m sure you’d have an 'award winner' of a picture there imho.

Millie

Comment

I love this lens.

Its already been said the build quality is pants but its the best for the price and its a real fun lens.

Comment

Thanks Millie, just noticed your post. Paint job via a talented young lady at Cadbury World, excellent rendition of colours, tones and details via Canon 50mm 1.8 ;¬)..modelling by my 3 year old grand daughter!

Comment

Yea I usually buy cheap me

Comment

Men with Hats

50mm 1.4 Taken this morning

50mm 1.8 on from my archives, taken when I had the 1.8 it lasted 3 months then it broke
              I was drinking prior to taking this one.

Not meant to compare the lenses just for fun.

Millie

Comment

Goes to prove the case I reckon. Cracking shots, Millie - sober or not! ;¬)

Peter.

Comment

Hey Peter, thanks for your kind comments.

Millie

Comment

Now that I am semi retired - I just work part time - I do 1 day a week voluntary work at a local hospice. There I take pictures of donated items which are sold through eBay. This is great for me as I will over a day take pictures of up to 100 items so I am gaining a lot of invaluable experience.

Yesterday I was faced with taking pictures of a magnificent dolls house styled as if in the Edwardian era. This dolls house was made by a master modelmaker to an incredibly high standard with every possible detail - for example every tile on the roof was a real minature which he had made by cutting down real tiles.

Below is a picture of the living room, complete with wall light and flame effect fire. The floor to ceiling height is about 6 inches. I took this picture without flash or lights in order to reproduce the atmosphere of the house.

I took the picture by resting the camera on my camera bag - using it as a bean bag (thank you whoever gave the tip on this forum).

The picture is with the nifty fifty, 50d, f3.2, 1/16, iso800 with just a little brightening and no other post processing. This looks even better when printed. Focus point is the left upright of the fire. Just shows how good this cheap lens is

Last edited by briansquibb; 22-01-2010, 11:46.
                    ef-r

Comment

I have only recently acquired this lens, but haven't had chance to use it in "anger"; one thing I have noticed, if you intend to use a ring flash, you will need to fit an extension ring to the front to hold the ring flash mount, otherwise the ring flash when fitted prevents focussing at close distances. I don't have the MR24, but would surmise being similarly mounted the same problem could occur.

regards

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by doktorstamp View Post
                        I have only recently acquired this lens, but haven't had chance to use it in "anger"; one thing I have noticed, if you intend to use a ring flash, you will need to fit an extension ring to the front to hold the ring flash mount, otherwise the ring flash when fitted prevents focussing at close distances. I don't have the MR24, but would surmise being similarly mounted the same problem could occur.

regards

Nigel
                        You can buy Canon's ring-flash mounting ring of course, but if like me you happen to have a Cokin-A ring lying at the bottom of your bag you'll find it does the job perfectly. I knew I bought Cokin for a reason!!

John

Comment

Great lens even if the MK11 build quality was so bad I was unable to get one Got the MK 1 at an even better bargain price and it is quite superb and build quality is far better!
                          Canon 1DX Canon EOS 1D Mark 1V Canon EOS 7D Mk 11 EOS 5D Canon EF800mm f5.6 IS Canon EF500mm f4 Mark 11 Canon EF400mm f4 IS DO EF300 f2.8 IS Canon EF 200mm f2 IS Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS Canon EF100mm IS F2.8 Canon EF24-70 F2.8 Canon EF16-35 f4 Mk11 Canon EF15mm Fisheye Canon 1.4 tele converter 111 Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art

Comment

got mine a few years ago from jessops 2nd hand two month old, it will give my so called posh lenses a run for their money.must be the best value lens on the market.i neve r thought about using it with a converter, i bought the 1.4 a little while ago nice one regards alf

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                              It's nice and light too, so makes a good lens for walkers. I also found that it works very well with extenders for close-up work. A most under rated lens.
                              can you tell me a bit more about using it with extenders i have a canon1.4extender i thought they were used on a limited nos of canon lenses, it might be handy to use it on the 50mm smashing tell me more thanks regards alf.

Comment

Think Dave means extention tubes, the 1.4x will not fit the 50mm lens (it's only L series lens's from 135mm upwards I beleive)
                                Regards
                                Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                                7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
                                24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Working...
                                X