Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key 783 in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "online" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/content.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 EF 50mm f1.8 AKA nifty fifty. - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EF 50mm f1.8 AKA nifty fifty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EF 50mm f1.8 AKA nifty fifty.

Well when I bought my 7d, the sales guy recommended the nifty fifty to me, and I have to say it does make me smile for what it cost me.

John

Comment

Has any memeber bothered to try this lens in the reverse mode with a reverse adaptor. I am told that it is supberb for macro photography. Could any member post any pictures taken in this way?
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
        They fall to bits, the build quality is naff, they leak like a Dutch battleship, and other photographers think you are poor. But it's sharper than a Samurai sword, and the bokeh is amazing. Would never do without it. If Canon stop making it I will switch to Kodak in protest.
        Excuse me?!!
        With kind regards,
        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

I think it is ignorance that makes people laugh and make fun of "plastics". One must remember that many of the EOS film and DSLR's cameras are made of plastic and I haven't heard of these bodies & lenses breaking up into pieces. If all cameras and other equipments are made out of metal, it will need a superman/superwoman to carry them around. Plastics are only "dangerous" and liable to break if there are ham fisted photographers. I also thought that all Dutch battleships were very well made. Perhaps some examples of leaking battleships would be helpful! Also, plastic equipment does not signify that a person is "poor"; I for one would prefer light weight equipmentfor HEALTH reasons and not because I am "poor"!! It is such silly sweeping statements that are the root cause of all the problems in our society.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 09-10-2010, 12:14.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

It's a little soft wide open but still usable. Stop it down to f5.6 or f8 and it's tack sharp and far better than it should be given its price. Sure, it would be nice if it had faster quieter focusing and better construction but Canon built this thing to be very inexpensive and put their money into good optics. I think that's a more than fair trade off. You could buy a box full of these for the price of a single "L" lens. And if the snobs look down their nose at my cheapo "nifty fifty", well, that's their problem 'cuz I could care less.
            Canon EOS 10D; Canon S1IS; Canon A1100IS; Olympus Pen 1/2 frame 35

Comment

I have always favoured primes though obviously I succomb to the convenience of zooms too. The 85 mm f1.8 is a superb lens at a bargain price. .....
              www.garywhite-photography.com
              Gary White, MPhil
              Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary - Fulham View Post
                I have always favoured primes though obviously I succomb to the convenience of zooms too. The 85 mm f1.8 is a superb lens at a bargain price. .....
                I remember Lord Snowdon used only a standard 50mm lens for a lot of his photographs.They were stunning. I too have the nifty fifty f1.8 ii and quite happy with it. I agree with the 85mm f1.8 lens which I will buy sometime or the other. On my crop bodies it does the job of a 135mm on a FF. I hope to use it for street photography.

Comment

50mm f/1.8 ll it's a great lens and canon should make this a standard kit lens. As for L series lenses I think they do gain you respect when you are carrying one on your camera.

Comment

I may be wrong here but IMHO photography is all about pleasing oneself and not others. I do not care what others think about my lenses or cameras as long as I am able to take decent photographs to put in my album and show it on my coffee table, when I am entertaining.

Comment

I'm with you on this Nathaniel - I would much rather be respected for the photographs than because of an elitist attitude to the gear I have draped round my neck. Having said that, I do want to use the best equipment I can afford - so far my budget requirements being prioritised elsewhere have precluded ownership so far - one day maybe but till then I have my trusty 50mm!

Comment

The nifty fifty is a briliiant lens. Keep hold of it and long may it live! See the attached photo taken without any flash but only available sunlight

(i)

Comment

I absolutely love my 'nifty fifty', purchased after reading what all you experts on here wrote about it:) I wouldn't be without it now! Here's one of my efforts from when I visited my family in UK earlier this year. The IQ is excellent. Yes it may be plastic, but it's light and versatile and even i get some good shots with it!

IMG_20711 by Mazz2011, on Flickr
                          “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
                          http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

I like my nifty fifty as well... and I'm very happy to have it in my kit bag. I may not use it much... but I think I would miss it now if it wasn't there.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Another nifty-fifty shot from a walk yesterday.
                              EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

I bought my third dSLR a year ago. A 60D with a 18-135mm zoom lens. Shortly afterwards I bought the nifty fifty. Although it won't do anything but 50mm, I hardly ever use the zoom. I'm planning on getting 28mm and 85mm primes as soon as I can afford them.

I shot a video on the 60D with the nifty one for a good friend last week. See it here if you like. http://youtu.be/HaZdKsrkvVI?hd=1
                                myTube
                                Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
                                Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

Working...
                                X