Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Notice: str_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/string.php on line 3 Kata Rucksacks - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kata Rucksacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kata Rucksacks

Hi

I am trying to find a camera bag for my 7D with 15-85 lens plus an 80-200 lens. I'm used to putting my old EOS 600 in a toploader then carrying it in any rucksack that was available. My husband feels I should treat the 7D with a bit more respect!

I would prefer a rucksack (2 straps) with a hip/waist belt but without going too large, that I can carry a few other things in as well. I've looked at the LowePro range but I am now looking at the Kata 3N1 range but wondered if anyone has bought a one and what they thought of it. Or if there are other similar alternatives.

Hope you can help, ta
    Alison

Re: Kata Rucksacks

Hi I don't have the Kata 3N1 but I do have the kata DR-467i which I use when I am travelling for business / pleasure it hlolds my 50D, 70-300, 10-22, 100mm macro and the 430ex flash all in the bottom, I can get my laptop in the laptop pocket and the Bose headphones and a book etc. in the top compartment. Not exactly what you mention but I do rate the Kata Bags as I have 3 different ones. I also have a LowePro ProRunner 200 Aw rucksack as well which holds only camera gear.

Both are good, it may sound daft but one real benefit I have found with the Kata is that the inside is as bright yellow and anything you drop in it is more easily found compared to the grey inside of the LowePro bag

Comment

I'm probably not going to help here, but on the theory that all comments are useful comments (well, sometimes ;-) for that combination of kit I'd probably take my Lowepro Classified 160AW (in Sepia, as the black ones look naff, IMHO).

One of the few Lowepro bags that comes with a decent strap!
      BTW, yes, I'm the only reviewer on that site :-)
      The other bags I'd consider (again, sorry, but rucksacks aren't me, too slow to get at the camera) are the ThinkTank Retrospective bags (I ordered one at Focus, but as they'd run out it isn't here yet).
      I ordered this one:
      We are a group of product designers and professional photographers on a mission to design and create the highest quality travel gear for the world’s Venturing Observer.

as I have the Loewpro bag for when I have the 70-200 attached.
      This: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...ulder-bag.aspx would be better to consider for your choice (I think).
      Anyway, I totally didn't answer your question as you asked, so sorry about that, but hopefully some ideas anyway...
      John
      P.S. I did order a Kata bag a while back (the Kata 3-in-1 Sling Backpack 3N-1-10) but sent it back as it was too tight a fit around my camera and I was afraid I'd drop it while taking it out of the bag, plus the straps were too thin to use as a sling rather than a back-pack, if you had heavy kit in the bag. I will say one area where Kata score is their stuff is usually lighter than most of their competition, which I gather is one of their design aims.
      Last edited by DrJon; 19-03-2011, 16:59. Reason: Added P.S.

Comment

I have a 450D with the two standard 18-55 and the 55-250 just got a sigma 10-20 all fitted in the Kata 3n1 20 all fitted in no problem, a great bag loved the way you can sling in on one shoulder and slide it round to get camera out, plus you can carry as a normal rucksack by changing the way you have the staps
        I still have it as a spare, Now carry a 17" laptop in the Kata DR467i bag
        Do think the Kata bags are very well made and easy to carry.

Hope this helps

Mick

Comment

Probably a bit late now, but I have the Kata 3in1 30 and I love it. It is guaranteed for life which shows the confidence the company has in it's product. The zips are brilliant, you can open the side flaps just by pulling back on the flap, the zip is so free running that it opens. The zips will not get jammed, because of the design of them.
          The shoulder straps are fixed at the back of the bag, but with guides at the top, so the strain on the stitch at the end is always perpendicular to the joint, so it stops it ripping from the side. The shoulder straps have D rings on the bottom end which distributes the load better. The shoulder straps are really well thought out, the free ends of the straps can be tucked away. On other bags, there have been long straps hanging down and I always stood on them when lifting the bag from the floor, which adjusted the bag position on one side..used to drive me crazy!
          The Kata has been very well designed, great attention to detail. There is a attachment you get for attaching a tripod and the bag also has a facility to fit a trolley. you also get a cover for protection in rain, but it would need to be really heavy to get through the material. The bag also has a waist strap, but this can be tucked out of sight if you don't use it.
          The inside is highly configurable. I carry two bodies 40D/7D, 24-70mm f2.8, 200mm f2.8, 10-20mm, extension tubes, flash, several filters, stacks of batteries, and a load of other junk, about 9Kg and it is quite comfortable to carry all day. The side flaps are very handy if you have one main camera. it is very accessible.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
          X