A Really Good Commission - At Long Last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Really Good Commission - At Long Last

I hope this won't sound like boasting, and I am trying to keep within the parameters of the thread by being informative as to how it might be possible to make some money with your camera.

I've been a published photographer for a very long time; in that I sold my first photo to a magazine in 1979 - and I've done a huge amount of work since then. But, I've hankered after being a regular (and regularly paid) travel photographer for as long as I can remember.

I've done a lot of work in this line; including 2 trips to the USA that resulted in 3, two page spreads for The Irish Times newspaper, a week photographing pubs and restaurants in Ireland for the Sunday Times travel magazine and 5 months in 2009 and 2010 travelling up one side of Ireland and down the other taking a total of 4600 images for a Dorling Kindersley guide book (Back Roads Ireland), which resulted in 300 of my photos in the book (about half the total published).

But, today, I had a phone call that could have seriously changed things for me on a regular basis. The marketing body that is responsible for marketing the island of Ireland overseas - a very large international corporate body - gave me a call. Actually it was a conference call, with me at one end of the line and 4 of their team at the other. At the end of the 40 minute call, I had secured 2 commissions worth over €995 a day (that will take more than a week to complete) plus "post production" (at €500 a day) plus expenses and plus licensing fees for any image use (and a buyout of my copyright could send the total bill into orbit).

The reason I mention it is because I tendered for photography work with that very same organisation in 2008 - and was not successful. But since then, I have contacted them on a regular basis and made sure that they knew about my work for other travel and tourism related companies, for example by sending them links to my web galleries of related imagery - such as THIS ONE and THIS ONE.

Eventually (and this is the exciting bit) they called me about 3 weeks ago and asked if I would like to be considered as one of their contributors! Would I? So, in that time, I sent them my fees rates, links to more galleries and my updated c.v. It all resulted in the call today to confirm the work - and they told me that I am now on a panel of specialized contributors and that there is no one else covering my area of Ireland!

OK, boasting over. There is a moral to this tale....decide where you eventually want to be with your photography. Set your target and go for it. And if you don't make it straightaway (in my case after 28 years) keep going! Persistence is the key to success in photography.

Stephen
    Last edited by adareimages; 22-03-2011, 19:33.
    Adare Images Website

The Snappy Snapper Blog

Re: A Really Good Commission - At Long Last

Congratulations!
    I work for myself (not in photography) and I know how good it feels when you get a win like this)
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

You are in a fortunate position over in Ireland - Beautiful country :) Well done and keep us posted on how it goes.
      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Excellent news

Comment

Originally posted by EOS_Jim View Post
          You are in a fortunate position over in Ireland
          I remember a quote from John Paul Getty (at the time he was the richest man in the world) being interviewed for a newspaper. The reporter said "Mr Getty, you have been very lucky in business", to which Getty replied "yes, and the strange thing is, the harder I work, the luckier I get".

I'm actually English, from a town near Liverpool and I came to Ireland 12 years ago for a senior job with the health board in Limerick. I gave that up a few years after arriving and set myself up as a photographer. I was well established as a photographer in the UK, but had to start again from scratch, buying new equipment, renting and re-furbishing a studio and making totally new contacts. It's been a long slog. Plus the recession has hit Ireland very hard, and 50 businesses are closing a week here - some villages are like ghost towns at the moment.

Also, there are far too many photographers to go around. It's a very small country (4 1/2 million people - and 2 million of them live around Dublin, 200 miles from me). It's very quiet where I am.

So yes, it's a beautiful country, I live miles from anywhere in a 250 year old cottage, and I have a good quality of life (when I'm not worrying about paying the rent). But I didn't get lucky Jim. I chose to be here- and I'm working hard.

Stephen
          Last edited by adareimages; 23-03-2011, 08:50.
          Adare Images Website

The Snappy Snapper Blog

Comment

and the best thing about Ireland is that they beat England in the 6 Nations at the weekend......

Stephen, a good reward for you after a hard work effort.

David
            David

Comment

Stephen, well done for the hard work and persistence I am glad that it has paid off for you.

David how are the Ausies doing in the Cricket?

Comment

Well done Stephen and it does show that persistence pays.

I actually started in travel photography, before going into advertising photography. Travel photography is marvelous, as long as you don't have young children, that you would like to see occasionally.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                  .........David how are the Aussies doing in the Cricket?
                  The loss to Pakistan last weekend was the first ODI match that Australia has lost in 12 YEARS !!!!

anyway back to Stephen's thread.....
                  David

Comment

Congratulations Stephen, the Getty quote sums it up for me. Grab the chance with both hands and enjoy your success
                    My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Originally posted by adareimages View Post
                      I remember a quote from John Paul Getty (at the time he was the richest man in the world) being interviewed for a newspaper. The reporter said "Mr Getty, you have been very lucky in business", to which Getty replied "yes, and the strange thing is, the harder I work, the luckier I get".

I'm actually English, from a town near Liverpool and I came to Ireland 12 years ago for a senior job with the health board in Limerick. I gave that up a few years after arriving and set myself up as a photographer. I was well established as a photographer in the UK, but had to start again from scratch, buying new equipment, renting and re-furbishing a studio and making totally new contacts. It's been a long slog. Plus the recession has hit Ireland very hard, and 50 businesses are closing a week here - some villages are like ghost towns at the moment.

Also, there are far too many photographers to go around. It's a very small country (4 1/2 million people - and 2 million of them live around Dublin, 200 miles from me). It's very quiet where I am.

So yes, it's a beautiful country, I live miles from anywhere in a 250 year old cottage, and I have a good quality of life (when I'm not worrying about paying the rent). But I didn't get lucky Jim. I chose to be here- and I'm working hard.

Stephen
                      I didn't mean lucky Stephen lol. Any photographer has to work hard as these jobs certainly don't fall on your lap. I meant fortunate to be in Ireland as it's a beautiful place :)
                      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Fantastic Stephen! really pleased for you. you have clearly got your just reward and I have no doubt you will make the most of it. hope to see some of the images on here too occasionally.
                        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

A big well done! Photography work that pays that well is like gold dust at the moment, I hope you enjoy it!
                          Regards Eddie.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Well done mate.
                            I stared taking family pics when I first began, now freelance for five newspapers as as well as lots of private and corporate clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Derry-Canon Fan View Post
                              Well done mate.
                              I stared taking family pics when I first began, now freelance for five newspapers as as well as lots of private and corporate clients.
                              The nearest I ever get is standing in for a friend of mine at Big Brother! no-doubt I will be asked again this year
                              Regards Eddie.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X