Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flash mod

Flash Mod - snoot

Flash 580 ex2 - could be any flash, black rubbery material from craft shop £1 (A4 size) rolled and selotaped, you could use black tape to make it sexier. Time to make, less that 30 secs

Sends a narrow beam of light to a specific area, zoom the flash head to max usually 105mm on canon flashguns . use the flash Exp compensation ISO and perture for more power, if required. Bacause of the rubbery materail you can squash this for storage.
    I've used this for ages, and I've only had to add more selotape by way of maintenance.

Might post some pics in due course.

PS that's not my paw in the snap :-)

Re: flash mod

Nice snoot :)
    ef-r

Comment

That looks pretty good and cheap Trevor
      I have a snoot which is part of my Strobies portrait kit, about 6 inches long - I wonder if that would work

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

I have a Pringles tube to try - it is silver inside so might give off more light. Have't worked out a way of sealing the flash end
        ef-r

Comment

I looked at the Pringles tube but my 580 didn't fit
          5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Jim - here is a picture of it on mine - and also the tube I got from Photobox when they sent some photos

The flowers are just a quick snap of some that were on the table - both tubes had their white end caps to act as diffusers. My son pointed the two flash lights and we didn't do any gardening as this was just to show it works OK

5dII, 17-40@23, iso 400, 1/200, f11

5dII, 17-40@40, iso400, 1/200, f22

ef-r

Comment

I bought some grids and deflectors/snoot for my flashes but have never really used them in anger yet..... Bought flowers for shaz yesterday so might have a wee try :)
              5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

That looks pretty good and cheap Trevor
                I have a snoot which is part of my Strobies portrait kit, about 6 inches long - I wonder if that would work
                Yes, it's more about controlling the spread of the light from the flash - when making up anything DIY I think it's always best to base it on a proven product.
                There are usually good technical reasons for the common design characteristics of commercially available products.

Stan that reminds me, have you got around to using the beauty dish supplied with that strobies kit ?
                Trev

Comment

I too have tried the funky foam snoot, and what I really like over a fixed round tube is that you can mould the foam to shape, so to give an oval beam for example.

Comment

do canon do an equivalent of the Blue Peter Badge? yet another really interesting post. will have to give this a try somewhen.
                    David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                    All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

I can see a visit to the craft shop coming up.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

I can see a visit to the craft shop coming up.
                        I got mine in a chain of shops called the range maybe there's one near you.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                          I got mine in a chain of shops called the range maybe there's one near you.

Trev
                          There is... may just have to pay it a visit.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Tried the pringle tube today

LL2Q0123.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tredge View Post
                              Tried the pringle tube today
                              And who ate them in order to get an empty tube? Good shot!

Comment

Working...
                              X