DIY Softbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Softbox

I had a big parcel from Amazon so rathe than than recycle the box I decided to reuse it as a softbox.

I had seen plenty of other sites with DIY softboxe plans and they basically copied the comercial offerings. Those are way beyond my handicraft skills so I took an easier option.

- I left the box with all sides untouched with just the top open - so that the flaps can be used as barn doors if needed.

- I then raided the kitchen for the baking foil and just glued foil all round the inside.

- Obviously we need the flash though the bottom so I just cut a hole big enough to push the flash from front to back.

- the design of the light source is to fire from back to front. If no modifier is added then clearly you would get a bright spot in the middle. So I added a cone deflector in front of the flash to send the light back at all angles into the box. The foil then bounces the light forward at various angles giving an even output. The foil in the box should be crinkled as it helps to spread the light.

- I used this diffuser to do the deflecting by putting more foil under the top [IMG]file:///D:/2011_04_01/IMG_6654x.JPG[/IMG]here

- As a front diffuser on the softbox I left it so that I can drape clothes or leave it clear and use it as a barn door

The size of the softbox I made was 50cm x 36cm and the total cost to me was just the glue and foil - it took less than an hour to make.

Softbox with stiped cloth - this could be anything

I had to coerce the model to pose for me with a promise of a coffee

Softbox is the only lighting - would be interested to have comments on the quality of light

5dII, 24-105@55, iso 100, f9, 1/200
    Last edited by briansquibb; 01-04-2011, 15:47.
    ef-r

Re: DIY Softbox

Softbox is the only lighting - would be interested to have comments on the quality of light
    Gets my vote, cool lighting !

Out of interest where would you buy the white material used in softboxes, I don't mean heat resistant for hot lights, just flash ?

Trev

Comment

I have no idea where you can source the comercial stuff. My Mother in Law was a dressmaker so I have a stack of different material I can use - perhaps a dark green behind some flowers etc if you use it as a back light for smaller objects
      ef-r

Comment

Brian. Interesting what you can do with odd bits and pieces, isn't it?

I like the overall effect on your 'model', but I wonder whether the reflection of the softbox in the eye is too large... placing the box further away would obviously alter this. I have many boxes lying around, so I might have a play this weekend!

BTW, I may have mis-read your post... but I think your mother in law could do with a trim!

Cheers, Mike.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Mike - you dont normally use big softboxes for catchlights :)
          ef-r

Comment

I so want it to be rubbish having seen the finished article, but you can't argue with the result. Very atmospheric - I think that would make a brilliant monochrome image as well.
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

A definate thumbs up. What does the model think to his portrait shot?
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Great effect from such a simple contraption did you get a release notice from the model ??

Comment

I had to pay a modelling fee
                  ef-r

Comment

Nice idea
                    Trev try this

Or if your feeling like a bit of DIY

If you did not meet Nick Wheeler (Flickr Stream – a must) until now, you are in for a treat. Nick is what I call...

Coda
                    Last edited by codachrome; 04-04-2011, 17:46.
                    There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
                      Brian. Interesting what you can do with odd bits and pieces, isn't it?

I like the overall effect on your 'model', but I wonder whether the reflection of the softbox in the eye is too large... placing the box further away would obviously alter this. I have many boxes lying around, so I might have a play this weekend!

BTW, I may have mis-read your post... but I think your mother in law could do with a trim!

Cheers, Mike.
                      Mike
                      Movng the softbox further away from the subject will make the light harder.

I think the issue is that the image shows a very tight crop so the catchlights will look much larger than they would if the shot was of saya head and shoulders. I use a 135cm softbox for most of my shots and like the effect of a nice catchlight from that.

I do like the softbox though I'd crunch up the foil a bit more so that the light bounces around even more.

Good job
                      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Thanks for your comments on my comments - all useful stuff for me. The learning curve remains steep, but it's an enjoyable climb!

All the best, Mike.
                        flickr
                        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
                        X