Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens 17-85 IS USM or 24-70 L series

HI
    After a year I decided to upgrade my camera from EOS 500D to 7D ... it is big step for me but I wish to learn photography in practice so I need better camera.
    Since I spend so much on 7D I do not see reason to buy "L" series of lens right now since I have 17-85 IS USM
    I read reviews about 24-70 L and 17-85 IS USM and I think this lens is quite good for start I want to know your opinion Because I heard that to get most of 7D I need better lens like "L" series is it ?
    canon eos 7d, 17-85 f4 is usm plus old lenses for learning

Re: Lens 17-85 IS USM or 24-70 L series

The first and most important question is: what kind of pictures are you planning to take?

And what do you intend to do with them? - are you planning to sell them?
    ef-r

Comment

Hello maintechh and welcome to the forum.

The 7D is a fabulous camera and the 17 - 85mm is a very good lens. Enjoy them and take some great pictures. As a member of a camera club, I have seen amazing photo's taken on some quite inferior equipment and mediocre photo's take on top pro equipment, so I am firmly convinced that it is the photographer that make the difference, not the tools he uses.

You don't need L series lenses for the 7D, so go out and have fun with your 7D and amaze us with the results.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

at them moment I want to learn how to make proper pictures I don't yet think about selling them got nothing to sell :)
        Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
        The first and most important question is: what kind of pictures are you planning to take?

And what do you intend to do with them? - are you planning to sell them?

Comment

Thank you Colin and Yes you right Photographer is most important plus I will add - Light :)
          here is link to my first picture using Canon Eos 500D : http://maintechh.carbonmade.com/

at the moment I can see that 7D at night photography is great :) pictures are sharp and AF is very good so I'm happy for buying it

Comment

I have checked your site and there are some very good shots there.

A couple of observations that may help:

When starting out, most of us try really hard to exclude all people from our shots. Sometimes, including some people in the right area of the shot can enhance the picture and provide some scale.

Some of the Bath shots were a bit bright with oversaturated colours.

Overall I was very impressed, as you have tackled some difficult subjects, including depth of field and produced some good work.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

wow thanks didn't expect such positive respond :) I'm trying to improve all the time my photos
              I do have problems with white My photos in bright light are over exp I was trying to use filters but is there other way ? I was trying bracketing but still some dificulties

Originally posted by colin C View Post
              I have checked your site and there are some very good shots there.

A couple of observations that may help:

When starting out, most of us try really hard to exclude all people from our shots. Sometimes, including some people in the right area of the shot can enhance the picture and provide some scale.

Some of the Bath shots were a bit bright with oversaturated colours.

Overall I was very impressed, as you have tackled some difficult subjects, including depth of field and produced some good work.

Colin

Comment

I wouldn't throw any sizable amount of cash at lenses until you know what you want to specailise in, or find a genre of photography that you are drawn... to.

Trev

Comment

Lens 17-85 IS USM or 24-70 L series

One thing to have in mind! If you plan on going full frame in a near future and have the money laying around for L-glass, go for it. otherwise stick with what you got and if money is burning in your pocket, complement with a EF prime instead :)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your 17-85! And I think after trying it out a couple of month ago, for a crop sensor camera it is a good match. There are two lenses to consider if you plan to upgrade anyway. The 15-85 and the 17-40L!
                  Last edited by Nurcahyo; 10-09-2012, 11:03.

Comment

Working...
                  X