The ultimate onboard flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ultimate onboard flash

This is for me to take pictures at my niece's wedding on Saturday.

There will be a professional taking pictures too so I am reluctant to use bounce off the marquee roof

This is:

2 x 580EX
    1 ST-E2
    80cm umbrella
    Custom Brackets CBFolding-T flash bracket

This will be on the 5DII with the 24-105L F4

This is a sample picture I took

ef-r

Re: The ultimate onboard flash

Blimey Brian, you must have arms like Popeye!

Seriously, are you going to be able to manage the weight? I tried my 5D Classic and grip with a Stroboframe and flash and it was just too heavy for me to hold still and I don't consider myself to be a weakling It looks to be very effective. Good luck and enjoy the wedding

Gerry
    Last edited by Greecian; 14-04-2011, 20:03.

Comment

Good luck Brian.
      Looks not only enlightening but you'll have big guns too!

DaveH

Comment

I think I see what you’re up to, creating a larger light source, giving yourself something to bounce off where there is nothing, or you don’t want to use the marquee walls etc. It enables working without assistance too.

Looks interesting, but I have mixed feelings on it, especially in the context of you shooting as a relative/guest at a wedding. I think you’d need to speak to the photographer and reassure him /her/ them that you won’t get in the way, not just physically, but adding light. You say you’ve shot a couple weddings for free, you’d have to ask yourself if you’d have honestly wanted a relative anywhere near you with that setup.

You won’t exactly be un-obtrusive with that setup, and you could poke someone in the eye, what I mean is it could be difficult to move around in crowds going through doors etc.

I’d want to know for a fact that lugging this around, was going to yield better results than a more modestly sized hotshoe flash softbox on the bracket.

I’m not poo pooing your idea, I hope my misgivings prove groundless and you get some great pics and have no problems.

Trev

Comment

80cm softbox = £200
          80cm umbrella = £20

I wont be using this setup much. The umbrella is usefull on a stand as well and I already have one, so it makes more sense.

All the other kit I regularly use as well so this parts bin special has cost me nothing. That is why it is in the DIY section.

The wedding reception is going to be in the marquee so no doors to worry about. The marquee is rather large so bouncing off the walls cannot be relied on

I will have my eyes on the pro all the time. The service is at 2.30 so I wont need flash for the formal poses as I wont be taking any - but candid headshots with the 135f2 - definitely. I anticipate reasonable ambient for the start of the reception so will be doing just fill flash to start with. When the pro goes home then I have a different set up again as I can bounce at that point.

I will of course be checking that our wireless systems dont clash.

On Sunday I am taking photos of the birds at Leeds Castle and I intend to use multi onboard flash to help out there. I did a test shot down my garden and found that there was significant flash light at 30m.
          Last edited by briansquibb; 14-04-2011, 23:32.
          ef-r

Comment

Here is a picture of my cat taken indoors. I estimate I was 6-7m from the cat.

50d, 300mm, f8, iso100 1/200 - uncropped, just sharpened

ef-r

Comment

I bet he loved you when you hit him with all that light looking at the size of his eyes, how long was it before he could see again

Comment

Maybe not the best shot in terms of showing us the kind results you can get with your " ultimate onboard flash".
                The poor moggie has green eye, similar to red eye in quman beings.

Using a flashgun with a brolly either bounce or shoot through I tend to set zoom of the flash head to 24mm or put the wide panel down to give 14mm.
                It might seem a bit wastful but it fills the brolly and gives better catchlights imho. I would welcome any thoughts from others on this.

Trev

Comment

Brian, I cannot help on the technical side but you would certainly win best Hat at Ascot :)

Joanne
                  To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

I didn't get invited to the wedding It would have rivalled the princesses hats

Have a new flash gizmo in the pipeline - tested prototype last night - 580EXII lights up workshop 150 feet away - cost £1.99. Will get a proper one made in a couple of weeks when I have finished the new workshop
                    ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                      Have a new flash gizmo in the pipeline - tested prototype last night - 580EXII lights up workshop 150 feet away - cost £1.99.
                      Have you considered just having a light in your workshop, operated by a light switch?

OK - my curiosity has been piqued! Any chance of photos of new gadget when complete?

All the best, Mike.
                      flickr
                      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Yep a picture will be forthcoming in this section
                        ef-r

Comment

Fresnell lens are very cheap and have a multitude of uses - it will have to wait until the evenings draw in now.
                          ef-r

Comment

Working...
                          X