Should I buy EOS film camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy EOS film camera?

One thing I have been considering for some time is whether to buy a 2nd hand EOS film camera. The benefits I see is image quality over my 350D, but mainly I would hope my photographic skills would improve as I am forced to be more considerate about each image!. The negative is film processing and its cost. As I understand it though it would be the equivalent of having a 30megapixel full frame sensor...

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions of a low cost option to look at?

Rob

Re: Should I buy EOS film camera?

You're not alone in wondering about an old film body. There are some real bargains on ebay. I know though, if I bought one, it would be just one more ornament to dust under.
    Dave

Comment

I purchased a mint EOS 3 two years ago for £100 and it had only snapped ten rolls of 36. So don't pay any more then that.
      rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob.Richards View Post
        ... but mainly I would hope my photographic skills would improve as I am forced to be more considerate about each image!
        Forgive me for saying so, Rob, but you are letting yourself be the victim of technical determinism, where the equipment controls what you do, rather than you determining what you do. There is nothing to stop you being more considerate about each image using a digital camera. You don't need a film camera to do that. If you want to use film then fine, get one. But it won't necessarily make you a better photographer.

It's only a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
          Forgive me for saying so, Rob, but you are letting yourself be the victim of technical determinism, where the equipment controls what you do, rather than you determining what you do. There is nothing to stop you being more considerate about each image using a digital camera. You don't need a film camera to do that. If you want to use film then fine, get one. But it won't necessarily make you a better photographer.

It's only a tool.
          THIS, is a VERY GOOD POINT! I think half of the reason I would be interested is that I almost feel I have missed out! There are so many people that grew up with film, and in doing so, I guess, wasted a huge amount of film but learnt in such a way that it stays with them!

I love learning about photography and drawing inspiration from wherever and wondered if it would actually benefit my photography by going back to the old school!

The point you raise about being more considerate with digital is extremely valid, I always try and get it right in camera to avoid the hours in front of the computer!

Having recently purchased the book Garden Photographer of the Year for just £5 at a service station, it brings home the "it is just a tool" comment. Some of the people used hasselblad, EOS 1D etc other EOS 300, 350 but they were all in the book...

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob.Richards View Post
            I think half of the reason I would be interested is that I almost feel I have missed out!
            Ah! that feeling of 'missing out', the fear that lurks in all of us.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm sure that like me you have met quite a few 50+ people who feel that they have missed out by not having the opportunity to learn about computers and all the digital biz. Try to think of digital photography as an opportunity to leap ahead, not look back to the past.

Comment

On the practical point first rather than the pedagogical one...

1. The EOS 3 and 1V can be had for real bargains. Look in pro dealers too for s/h examples, not just Ebay. I can recommend www.yorkcameras.co.uk (close to the British Museum) - they have an excellent range.
              2. People might be seduced by the nostalgia of film and of course, digital is a major step forward. But with film, you'll get very responsive, well designed cameras, 100% viewfinder (often) fov which until recently, digital hasn't had. BUT the major point in my mind is that you will slow down and consider the shot more, which is good thing.
              www.garywhite-photography.com
              Gary White, MPhil
              Travel Photographer

Comment

PS - so , yes, I think you should definitely buy a film camera... if nothing else, it allows you to tap into 150 years of heritage, which is no bad thing. I still do a lot of B&W and scan the negatives, so I have the best of both worlds....
                Gary White, MPhil
                Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary - Fulham View Post
                  PS - so , yes, I think you should definitely buy a film camera... if nothing else, it allows you to tap into 150 years of heritage, which is no bad thing. I still do a lot of B&W and scan the negatives, so I have the best of both worlds....
                  And I guess, Gary, that you trot around Fulham in the barouche because you want the heritage experience that cars just can't provide? Where do you keep the horses?

Comment

Well, seriously, most 'new' digital photographers I know, know very little about aperture, shutter speed, hyperfocal distance, circles of confusion, etc. When you used a 5x4" camera, with sheet film and a frame rate of about 1 frame every 10 minutes, using a lens with adjustments, you learn a lot about photgraphy.
                    I understand the point you are tying to make - that there are always luddites in any area - for example, there are those who still don't use email, which to me is incredible, or those that said the word processor wasn't necessary....
                    BUT it is an imortant point - perhaps it is not so much 'film versus digital' - not the recording medium itself but speed of the technological change. All these images stored on hard drives - how many are printed?
                    Gary White, MPhil
                    Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary - Fulham View Post
                      Well, seriously, most 'new' digital photographers I know, know very little about aperture, shutter speed, hyperfocal distance, circles of confusion, etc.
                      I agree with that completely. The P&S people in particular think they just need to literally point and shoot, but not think. I was self-taught, have only been a serious photographer for three years, and never shot film in anger. If you take the time and effort, and care about what you are doing, then the equipment really shouldn't make much difference.

Comment

Rob, you are right and have taken the right approach. Unfortunately, there are some who know 'nada' and their photography will suffer in the long run...
                        Gary White, MPhil
                        Travel Photographer

Comment

Slowing down and thinking is one good way to improve your picture taking. Sometimes I venture out with just a 50mm or a 35mm lens attached. It makes me work a little harder for images than if I had a bag of lenses handy or a zoom on the camera. It's more enjoyable too, in a way.
                          Dave

Comment

I have been thinking a lot about what you have all said. I too am a self taught photographer. I have furnished my home (much to my wife Jo's disgust!) with numerous older photographic volumes from charity shops! What I love about these is that they dont introduce photography as tweaking levels and curves it is all about the image and technique. I have books by Ansel Adams, Charlie Waite, David Bailey etc and it is much more about the emotion and getting it right in camera.

I guess I am from an era where I have grown up with computers and digital cameras (although Jo does love polaroid and I always give my 3yr old disposable film cameras Like I used to have!) and there is no reason to change it.

I think technique is where i need to concentrate. I have never used auto or even program mode. The first thing I did when I bought me 350D was look at the manual and go through each advanced operation until I knew where it was and what it does. I do shoot mainly in AV and am working towards manual so I really understand what i am doing! In that sense I guess I have answered my own question, in that I dont need a film camera to do that....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                              Slowing down and thinking is one good way to improve your picture taking. Sometimes I venture out with just a 50mm or a 35mm lens attached. It makes me work a little harder for images than if I had a bag of lenses handy or a zoom on the camera. It's more enjoyable too, in a way.
                              I bought me the nifty fifty for exactly this purpose - and yet I didnt persevere with it enough to make it work! Thanks Dave for reminding me, when my Camera is back from Colchester, I will try this again!

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X