Should I buy EOS film camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I buy EOS film camera?

Many years ago I sold an old Chinon SLR to a woman at works husband. Sadly he died a few years later and she asked if I would like the camera back. I took it and put a roll of Velvia through it. It was like a breath of fresh air going back to basics setting shutter speed and aperture manually all on a 50mm f1.8 lens.
    A most enjoyable afternoon out.
    Would I do it again? Probably not but never say never. I can't see me actually buying a film camera nowadays and I'd probably take ill with all the developing costs etc.
    Last edited by SamFisher; 09-11-2009, 08:55.
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Just stopped using my EOS 100 when I bought a 50d

Had the 50d for 2 months and taken nearly 3000 pics - couldn't affort that in film
      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        Slowing down and thinking is one good way to improve your picture taking. Sometimes I venture out with just a 50mm or a 35mm lens attached. It makes me work a little harder for images than if I had a bag of lenses handy or a zoom on the camera. It's more enjoyable too, in a way.
        I agree with the above, I have done the same, just gone out with the one lens. I still have my film cameras, Eos 600 and 5 only used a couple of times can count on the one hand and still have a few fingers spare. The last time think it was last year, I kept looking at the back of the camera then realising no screen. I don't intend to sell mine, but don't think they will get much use. It least with digital you can check your results and try again (depending on the subject).

The quality of digital is still improving, I am not just talking about incressed number of mega pixels but the quality of the processors in camera's and for the size of prints most people print. I for one don't think you will be able to tell if it from film or digital.

Not saying you shouldn't buy a film camera, just have a good think about why you wanting to buy one.

Alan

Comment

I have an EOS 3 as a back up to my EOS 350d and I will not part with my film EOS 3. It is a brilliant camera and takes superb pics with full frame. The only downside is that you cannot view the image immediately; however this is not a big problem as having used film for donkeys years, I am quite sure that the photograph will come out fine. So go ahead and buy a film camera and choose either the EOS 3 or IV
          Nathanie Ramanaden

Comment

The 3V and the 1V were the pinacles, really. However, if you can tolerate the slightly older flash system, the EOS 1N (circa 1995) is excellent too. And even more of a bargain....
            www.garywhite-photography.com
            Gary White, MPhil
            Travel Photographer

Comment

[QUOTE= All these images stored on hard drives - how many are printed?[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't print mine. They are stored on disks and hard drive and made into slide shows on DVD...
              Better for storage, in terms of space.

Digital is still a medium, the theory hasn't changed!!!
              Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

I think the issue is that previously prints physically existed, even if they deteriorated, they were a legacy for future generations. When you and I go 'toes up', will anyone be interested in or have the time to open up hard drives? Will they be able to start them? Will they be able to open the files? Will the images be forgotten about if the hard drives are disposed of as junk, as so many peoples' stuff is when an elderly relative passes on?
                When we are in our dotage, will our children / grandchildren be interested in refreshing our back ups regularly? I doubt it. This is a significant issue for future generations. Think of the greats of 19th / 20th Century photography - we still have the negatives and prints, in many cases.
                Gary White, MPhil
                Travel Photographer

Comment

You shoud have one film EOS as a back up; would suggest the EOS 3 or EOS 1V. These are great cameras and on par with the say canon 5d full frame.

Comment

If you can, push to the 1V. It is very tough
                    Gary White, MPhil
                    Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary - Fulham View Post
                      When we are in our dotage, will our children / grandchildren be interested in refreshing our back ups regularly? I doubt it. This is a significant issue for future generations. Think of the greats of 19th / 20th Century photography - we still have the negatives and prints, in many cases.
                      Yes Gary, exactly, That is the problem I think with digital! As, I said, I don't print my images much, if I used film, then I would have prints and negatives!!!!!( I could get a printer and print them - but this can also get expensive)
                      I don't use film now- only have 'digital negatives'. No where near as tangible as film!
                      Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

I have been a keen and subborn film camera user and never thought I would change to digital. However having first tried my hand with an Olympus compact and seen excellent and sharp photographs, I sold my EOS 3 and bought a 350d and now I have upgraded to a 450d with the former as a back up. I am delighted that I finally made the change/leap from film to digital. I am now enjoying taking photos with my DSLR's, seeing the image at once, and printing out what I want without storing all the images on the computer as one never gets to see them later on.
                        So my advice is to go digital

Comment

I would hope my photographic skills would improve as I am forced to be more considerate about each image!.
                          If you just want to slow down and be more considerate; you could try to replicate a film camera without the expense of buying one.

Just take one 256Mb or 128Mb CF card with you when you go out to take pictures.

Giving yourself one choice of ISO speed and not looking at the LCD on the back of the camera, are other options. Just decide how real you want to make the experiment, and go for it.

Millie

Comment

I have an EOS 1n that I shoot the occasional role of slides on. With slide film you have to get it right in the camera ..... no second chances. It does slow you down and you have to make every shot count and certainly no "machine gunning" the motor drive.

The benefit is that it does bring you back to basics and make you think of the shot and camera settings. I think of it as re-sitting the driving test.

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

Well I did it! I have just arranged the purchase of a Canon EOS 5! I have paid £50 which I think is reasonable! Added to which I have just got a T3 remote release on EBAY (purchased new from Jessops by mistake and never used) for just £1.99 Bargain! I am really excited about using film and actually printing my images rather than processing them on the computer and filing them away! There are so many types I think I really want to use velvia 50 and is it kodachrome 64?

Anyway wish me luck!

Comment

Well done Rob

You can still get Velvia, but forget Kodachrome ........... they've stopped making it!

Colin
                                Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X