Should I buy EOS film camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I buy EOS film camera?

Doh! It was velvia that encouraged me to make the leap so it could be worse! I am just looking forward to it so no real worries! Cheers for that Colin

Comment

Welcome to the forum- the best place to ask questions. I thought I should let you know that I was a film/slide photographer for very many years- starting with a Kodak box camera. I graduated via Poloroid, Pentax MX, ME super to Canon EOS and had two EOS 3's - excellent cameras and was very reluctant to change; I had all sort of reasons/excuses not to change over to digital even though all round me from my children to friends were into digital. Then a few months ago, I thought I'd buy a digital zoom compact for the fun of it, and found it very interesting, the best part being able to see the photo immediately. From there I moved to the digital SLR 350d using my Canon EF lenses and enjoyed the control it gave via the different lenses. I then got a 450d and still have the digital compact,the 350d and the 450d. However, as I was using my film EOS very little I sold each of them on EBAy for upwards of £115+ and I have no regrets for changing over. If you have already bought a film EOS camera you will find that you will use it less and less as you become more confident and competent with digital photography.

There is no reason why you or anyone cannot take a bit more care in composition, exposure and use your 350d to capture the image first time round,as best as possible, like you would do with a film camera.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Just an observation.

I must admit, like many people I used to impressed by claims of 30 years experience and use of old equipment. With hindsight it was wrong of me to assume that because people used film they actually knew anything about photography.

In many cases this so called “30 years experience” boils down using ‘the average film camera of the day’ in auto, and in total ignorance of the basics of photography, not just the impact of ISO, AV, TV, other vital factors.

I think people commonly confuse the time they’ve owned a camera with their experience in photography. Owning film camera(s) for 30years and pulling it out on special occasions to take snaps is not 30 years experience in photography.

As Nathaniel says
        There is no reason why you or anyone cannot take a bit more care in composition, exposure and use your 350d to capture the image first time round, as best as possible.
        I agree, the theory hasn’t changed, it still photography whether you use a digital or a film camera.
        Millie

Comment

Ooooh, I am going to enjoy this ....................... popcorn and fizzy drinks ready for any other spectators!

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            popcorn and fizzy drinks ready for any other spectators!
            Colin
            Hi Colin, you should add that to your signature, it would save you from having to type it so often.
            Millie

Comment

I have got my first landscape photo from 1957 taken with my box Brownie. My Spotmatic appeared in 1970 when I focussed on taking snaps of wildlife, still life and landscapes as I continued to do until recently. I still have my 500mm f5.6 prime in the loft - and an over developed right bicep to prove it

Now I am semi retired I have time for other types of photography. Today I have made a diffuser for my pop up flash on the 50d - just a tube of translucent polyesta. I am thinking that veil material might work too.

Millie is being a minx again - I refuse to raise to the bait so Colin can put down his popcorn and fizzy drinks
              ef-r

Comment

No Brian, not being a minx, and just as importantly I’m not taking about anyone in particular. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead is purely co incidental, or words to that effect -- blah blah blah

I was thinking of the OP Rob’s earlier point.
                I think half of the reason I would be interested is that I almost feel I have missed out! There are so many people that grew up with film, and in doing so, I guess, wasted a huge amount of film but learnt in such a way that it stays with them!
                My point is not everyone who used the film learned a lot, if anything.

I have problems with photography that photography theory, experience, and kit can't solve, I'm not creative.

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post

I have problems with photography that photography theory, experience, and kit can't solve, I'm not creative.

Millie
                  Perhaps you can perfect some of my ideas - I have the opposite problem, all creative and not enough technical

Was just teasing you Millie
                  ef-r

Comment

Was just teasing you Millie
                    No worries Brian, I welcome the views of genuine members like yourself and others.

Since Rob has bought the camera, I'd like to wish him all the best with it.

Millie

Comment

I have some sympathy with Millie's comment.

I rejoined a camera club that I was a member of nearly twenty years ago. There are some members who, although they have progressed to digital, don't appear to have learned anything in the intervening period and they are the first to moan when a judge awards a mediocre mark, to one of their mediocre pictures.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

This was something I felt like writing at the time, now I think I'd have worded it slightly differently.

LOL....Colin I do wish you'd stop mentioning my mediorce pictures - are you trying to shame me in to posting some good ones ?

Millie

Comment

This was something I felt like writing at the time, now I think I'd have worded it slightly differently.

Colin I do wish you'd stop mentioning my mediorce pictures ?

Millie
                          For me a mediocre picture would a step up
                          ef-r

Comment

I spent around 20 years with a film camera (Olympus OM10, then OM1) and two cheap zooms and I learned a lot that transferred to digital. I've learned more in 3 years DSLR (tried a couple of variations of compact in between to see if I liked digital) than I did in most of the previous 20. I suspect I've also taken more shots in that time than I did before. The big advantage is being able to review the shot settings and seeing 'that worked, that didn't' and then I've tried to reapply that knowledge to the next session. More to the point, I'm not limited to one view of something, I can take a shot, move round, take some more, see how it looks, move again.... I would never have done that with film. Looking back at old prints I can see I was doing OK, and there are some reasonably good ones. I can also see just how much I've improved since.

And then I look at other people's pictures and realize how much further there is to go yet, but usefully, I can also learn by reviewing their settings.

Personally, I'd think you'd do better to learn on digital and then apply what you know to film when you're confident you've mastered the techniques.
                            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I fully agree with Woolley. I have also leanrt a lot since ditching film/slide cameras and also seeing other togs photos here, plus the various debates,discussions that I have had and are still going on covering various uncharted areas for me at the moment.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

LOL....Colin I do wish you'd stop mentioning my mediorce pictures - are you trying to shame me in to posting some good ones ?

Millie
                                G'wan .......................... you must have one somewhere, he he.

(Ducks head and runs for cover!)

Colin
                                Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X