Which lens to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which lens to buy?

I have been saving hard to buy a Canon 24-105 F4 L lens which until recently I saw as a replacement for my Sigma 17-70 and my first “L” lens.

However, after looking at reviews of the 70-200 F4 L I wonder whether I should now consider replacing my current 70-300 IS with this and a 1.4 extender instead.

I mainly shoot portraits, butterflies/flowers and abstract although already have a Canon 100mm Macro lens which is excellent for all these.

What I find with the 17-70 is that I take a majority of my shots at between 50-70mm, the images lack punch and are a bit flat needing work in Lightroom and Photoshop together with a bit of lens creep. I have thought about buying a 17-85 as a cheap alternative (but it can get rubbish reviews) together with the 70-200 F4 and trading in the Sigma and the current zoom.

Any advice?
    Canon 7D MKii, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6L IS, Canon 17-40 f4L, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 f3.5

http://janandkeith.co.uk

Re: Which lens to buy?

Which camera body are you using?

The EF-S 17-85 IS is a better lens than many people make out. 70-200 and 25-105L are 2 very different lenses. It sounds like the 24-105 is better bet for what you want but not if you are using an EF-S body (e.g. 400D, 40D, etc)?

We need to know the body....
    www.garywhite-photography.com
    Gary White, MPhil
    Travel Photographer

Comment

A 40D which is why I am a bit cautious about buying the 24-105L.

I suppose the priority if I am honest is to replace the Sigma 17-70, but with what?
      Canon 7D MKii, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6L IS, Canon 17-40 f4L, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 f3.5

Comment

The 17-85 f4/5.6 IS is a better lens than you might think. The Sigma EX DC 18-50 f2.8 is an excellent lens and a good price and less than half the price of the Canon equivalent.
        Gary White, MPhil
        Travel Photographer

Comment

My first question to you is to ask this.

Can you ever see yourself in a position where you might own a FF or 1.3 crop body by Canon?

If the answer is that there is only the slightest of chances, then think hard before spending any money on EF-S lenses. Future proof yourself with EF only fit.

THe 70-200 will be fine for many of the subjects that you have described in your opening post. It is one of those lenses that once acquired you won't want to get rid of.

The other option to supplement the 70-200f4 with is of course the 50f1.8. You can then cover the 50 and 70 that you say you do most of your images with with a prime and an L lens. And then keep the lens you have to cover the wider end, and maybe replace with a 17-40f4L when you have recovered your funds

Just another option for your to mull over.

Martin

Comment

Have you considered Sigma 50-150 f2.8?
            Sigma Corporation of America is a subsidiary of the Sigma Corporation, a Japanese based family owned manufacturer of DSLR cameras, camera lenses and camera accessories. Founded in 1961, Sigma Corporation prides itself on high quality and innovative photographic equipment.
            Last edited by DenisV; 10-09-2009, 12:03.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/22498927@N05/sets/

Comment

What is the advanatge of the EF-S 55mm-250mm IS lens over the EF 50mm-200mm USM iii lens?

Comment

I use a 24-105 on a 40d and previously had the 17-85mm kit lens. The 17-85mm isn't that bad but I find the 24-104 a huge improvement. 2nd hand you can pick one up for around £600
                Canon 5D & 40D, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon 135L f2

Comment

Speaking from personal, and bitter experience. I would always buy lenses that will fit FF as well as crop-factor cameras. I don't have a choice now as I own both types of camera, but I wasted money buying crop-factor lenses. Stick to EF for Canon, and DG for Sigma as they will work on both camera types.

Generally speaking you will also get better IQ with EF and DG lenses. But not always.

Comment

I agree with Rob overall but I also find the advantage of EF-S is that they are smaller and lighter, so I have built up a small collection for use with the 50D only and lightweight travel: Canon 17-85 f4/5.6 IS EF-S, 60mm EF-S macro, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC and 10-20mm f4/5.6 EX DC. I also sometimes use the 17-40L, which gives excellent IQ but is a bit short at the long end, even with the 1.6x factor.
                    Gary White, MPhil
                    Travel Photographer

Comment

Thanks for your advice, I have seen a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM Lens (white box version) advertised by a UK dealer for £250 so may get that in the interim as a replacement for my Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens, then save the rest of my hard earned cash until I really know what I want. The 24-105L is tempting but even though I have spent 9 months saving up for it I can't bear to part with all that cash on a single lens.

Comment

Also, it is not particularly wide with the magnification factor of 1.6x
                        Gary White, MPhil
                        Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                        X