Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help..which to choose...close up diopters or extension tubes or Raynox or others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help..which to choose...close up diopters or extension tubes or Raynox or others

Hi.

I am new to macro photography and I have a read dozens of threads and articles about it.

I came upon this:

I have a 550D body and an 18-135 IS kit lens. I can not buy a dedicated macro lens right now so I want to maximize the use of my 18-135 IS kit lens.

Which is the best option:
    1--use macro close up lenses/diopters?
    which ones? what brand? what "+"?

2--use extension tubes? like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/...acro-Canon-ex...-/170476832818

3--use reversing ring?

4--use Raynox?

I would first start doing inanimate objects e.g. coins, jewels, bolts etc. then flowers, then eventually move on to caterpillars, spiders maybe and of course those flying insects e.g. flies, dragonflies, bugs, bees.

Again I would like to maximize the use of my 18-135 kit lens.

Should I also use a ring flash?
    or just an ordinary hot shoe flash?

Any advise?

-AFL

Re: Help..which to choose...close up diopters or extension tubes or Raynox or others

Hello AFL90 and welcome to the Forum.

They will all give you macro to a greater or lesser extent, but I would go for the extension tubes. Make sure that they are automatic and that means they have the contacts to carry information between the body and the lens. If you buy the normal set of three, you can use them individually, or double, or treble them up.

A ringflash is nice to have, but not necessary. Natural light, or halogen desk lamps are pretty good. Ordinary flash is fine, but you are often too close to be able to use it.

Hope that helps.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Re: Help..which to choose...close up diopters or extension tubes or Raynox or others

Hi Colin,

Noted that if it were you, you'd go for the extension tubes with autofocus.

Have you ever tried Raynox? Or the 250D/500D close up lenses?

-AFL

Comment

@AFL90 - have you considered the EF-S macro lens? They are not that expensive, especially second hand they not much more than the 250D/500D
        ef-r

Comment

I would go for a bona fide macro lens rather than any of your suggestions and as Brian says the EF-S 60 is a very reasonable price second hand, here the same place we bought one for my wife and it produces images equally as good as some of the more expensive lens

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

I recently got a close-up lens/filter +5 and it's a nice step in to experiencing macro for me.
            Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
            EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

I use extension rings.

When I've saved enough pennies I'll probably invest in a macro lens as well, but not get rid of the tubes because you can use them together. But for now I'm happy with the extension rings. I've no ring flash, I bought a bright led torch for when I'm outside if I need that extra bit of light.

If you are considering the extension rings, do look at the autofocus, you will probably have to use manual focus most of the time because the autofocus may struggle at times with low light, but they will carry the rest of the information to the body.

I guess it boils down to how much you think you'll use macro and how many pennies you have to spend. I keep looking at macro lens... like a kid with their face pressed up against the glass window of a sweet shop...

ah well... one day.

Do you know anyone that can lend you extension rings/macro lens/other... so you can try them out and see which would work for you best?
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

I use a Sigma 105mm, occasionally with a Raynox DCR 250 attached. First pic is without, second pic is with the Raynox attached.

I bought a set of kenko tubes but found that the extra length added to the Sigma 105 made it awkward to handle for me (would have been different if the Sigma was IF) so I sold them and went back to the Raynox for occasional use. They are good quality and well worth the money, and for me a better option with my current lens setup. I used to have Olympus gear and used the Raynox with their kit 40-150 zoom and got very nice results at 100mm +.
                Last edited by lesbutler; 22-06-2011, 14:48. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
                X