Canon FD lens for digital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon FD lens for digital

Right then I have been pondering whether to but some fd lenses and an adaptor to fit my 20d.Reasonign behind this the FD series of lenses seem to be a dammed sight cheaper than the EOS equivellent,yes I know cheaper does not allways work.
    Does anyone use Fd lenses or would it be a total waste of money

Dave

Re: Canon FD lens for digital

Many years ago when I bought my first EOS, an EOS 1000F, I bought an adapter so I could use my collection of FD lenses but ended up selling the lot and replaced them over a period of time with EF lenses.
    The drawbacks were no AF and the fact that the lenses had to be used in "stopped down" mode.
    Buying FD lenses + adapter may be a cheap option but personally I don't think its the right option.
    Why not try and find some second hand EF lenses? This to me would be a more cost effective option.
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

I have got 2 lens with converters. A zeis 135mm/f2.8 and a Pentacon 500mm,f5.6 prime lens. If you are happy with manual focus (like me taking landscapes and portraits) then that is a good option - the zeis in particular gives a good picture.

That said some of the cheaper Canon/Sigma/Tamron lens are decent quality and come cheap.

There is no real answer to the question - just a few options which do work
      ef-r

Comment

My main reason for this post is that I have seen a lens on Flee bay(yes I know)that the seller is saying that his adaptor works in manual and autofocus so me is now baffled.I honestly thought the same as you guys that it would only work in manual unless of course he knows something different or is bullshitting

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Not sure about the FD lenses, but I have a good number of M42 screw fitting lenses, mainly from the Russian and German stables which I use on my 30D with an adapter...

I find them to be excellent quality, sometimes even better than my "L" glass, with the only draw-back being no AF...

Dougie.
          ...there is symmetry in chaos....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosscroft-images/
          http://500px.com/DouglasMcMann/

Comment

Interesting question, I have an old Vivitar macro lens that I have often wondered if I could hook up to my 30D. Posts elsewhere have put me off the idea with very negative comments re image quality. Having to manually focus wouldn't be a problem and some of the comments here suggest that this would be worth a try with the appropriate adaptor.

Comment

Working...
            X