Worn out filter thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worn out filter thread

Purchased a 24-70Lf2.8 lens a while back on ebay. Unfortunately, the filter thread is very worn hence, no way I can use this lens with Lee filters which I was hoping to invest in the near future for landscape photogaphy etc. Would it be possible to handhold a filter in front of the lens with the camera on tripod or could this be repaired.

Re: Worn out filter thread

Use a bit of bluetack on the outside of either side of the lens barrel. Some people do this in preference to using a filter holder as it holds the filter closer to the front element.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
      Use a bit of bluetack on the outside of either side of the lens barrel. Some people do this in preference to using a filter holder as it holds the filter closer to the front element.
      I love all this Heath Robinson stuff! And while you are at it, instead of using a Gary Fong Whaletail diffuser (excuse me while I spit somewhere) you could cut a 1pint plastic milk-carton in half and attach it with some gaffer tape (80p instead of £60)

Comment

You can handhold a filter in front of the lens-easier if you use liveveiew as well to see the effect, I use Lee filters and have seen some american togs use the handhold method, I did a blog on it some time back, You can blue tack it as already mentioned but i dont like to keep cleaning the filters i must admit-either that or send the lens to canon for a new front filter

Dave

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies and sound advice...I'll go for the bluetack option

Comment

Working...
          X