Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ix7000

Dear all,

I've got an IX5000 for my A3 printing needs and seem quite happy with it. I see Canon have just announced the IX7000 which first of all prints a clear ink and then the colour on top. I've not seen this technology before and was wondering what people think of it?

Would this impact on the results when using different types of paper (matt, gloss...)?

Thanks,

Anthony.
    http://www.lorantphotographics.co.uk

Re: Ix7000

Anthony,

This is the same ink set-up as for the MX7600 All-In-one.

The iX4000 and iX5000 have three dye-inks and one pigment ink, as you obviously know.
    Presumably the pigment ink is only used for text on plain paper, the same as on my iP4600.
    This means that for photo prints they are effectively three-colour dye-ink printers, which explains complaints about the muddy blacks in photo images.

The new iX7000 has five inks plus the clear ‘ink’ that is used just for sealing plain paper.
    I think that the PGI-7 Black is only used for text, presumably on the treated plain paper.
    This means that for photo prints the iX7000 is effectively a four colour pigment-ink printer. Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Photo Black.

How this will compare with the Pro 9500 remains to be seen. It uses the same family of inks as the Pro 9500, but without the Grey, Green, Red, Matt Black, Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta inks.

I would not expect the mono performance to be anywhere near as good, but perhaps the colour performance will be good enough. It is a pity that the Photo-Cyan and Photo-Magenta were left off, but perhaps that would have made it too close a competitor for the Pro9500.

With only four colour inks for photo printing, they won’t last as long as ten in a Pro 9500. Only 11ml per cartridge. The PGI-7 Black is 25 ml, and I cannot find a size for the Clear.

It will need third-party paper manufacturers to supply ICC profiles. Traditionally, they support anything Epson, but only Canon’s Pixma Pro 9500 and 9000.

Canon UK’s web site now quotes an SRP of £399.00, against £279.00 and £329.00 for the iX4000/5000, so it will certainly be interesting to see what the photo quality is like, once the street price comes down.
    This may well be my first A3 printer.

Cheers
    Keith

Comment

Re: Ix7000

Thanks Keith.

Anthony.
      http://www.lorantphotographics.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X