Lens hoods -- vignetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens hoods -- vignetting

I get a bit of vignetting with my 7D when using the Canon lens hood.

Plus, not so sure I even like the hood...seems like a more complete funnel shape would be more effective.

Solutions?

Thanks

Re: Lens hoods -- vignetting

I doubt it's the 7D that's the problem...

Lens hoods are designed to accommodate the type of lens. Wider lenses need the "flower" hood approach to allow for the wider angles. A simple "tunnel-hood", as you get on longer reach lenses, would produce a black ring around the image.

What lens & hood are you talking about specifically? With some combinations, it's almost impossible to avoid a little vignetting at the widest settings...

You can solve the "problem" in DPP (if you shoot RAW) or PhotoShop if you don't...

PS : How did you manage to get hold of a 7D so quickly?????
    Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 16-09-2009, 08:07.
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
      I doubt it's the 7D that's the problem...

Lens hoods are designed to accommodate the type of lens. Wider lenses need the "flower" hood approach to allow for the wider angles. A simple "tunnel-hood", as you get on longer reach lenses, would produce a black ring around the image.

What lens & hood are you talking about specifically? With some combinations, it's almost impossible to avoid a little vignetting at the widest settings...

You can solve the "problem" in DPP (if you shoot RAW) or PhotoShop if you don't...

How did you manage to get hold of a 7D so quickly?????

[/COLOR][/B]
      My bad! I've had the 7D on my mind so much I mistyped. I should have said the 50D! Duhhhhhh!

Let's put it this way, it's the lens hood specifically made for the 50D.

Maybe I'm being overly picky.

Comment

Lens hoods are specific to lenses, not to the camera – what lens are you using? Do you have sample photos to post so we can see the problem. EXIF data will also be useful.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X