Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear Canon, please build me a camera with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dear Canon, please build me a camera with...

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
    Once you have Live View, movie mode is essentially a software implementation, so the impact on manufacturing cost is small. It's rather like saying "I only shoot RAW files, so please produce a camera which does not have a JPEG option". It's possible, but it won't reduce the cost.
    I have live view - it's one of the modes on my 1DmkIII but I've never used it in live view. It uses the battery too quickly plus it's of no use when I'm taking action shots. I also have two 1DmkIIn's without video or live view.
    rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Once you have Live View, movie mode is essentially a software implementation, so the impact on manufacturing cost is small. It's rather like saying "I only shoot RAW files, so please produce a camera which does not have a JPEG option". It's possible, but it won't reduce the cost.
      Robert, I don't get paid to shoot video, I get paid to shoot action stills.
      rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rhodopsin View Post
        Robert, I don't get paid to shoot video, I get paid to shoot action stills.
        Is movie mode getting in the way of you taking action stills?
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Is movie mode getting in the way of you taking action stills?
          Price wise - yes. As it is not required on a sports camera.

Comment

Price wise - yes. As it is not required on a sports camera.
            How much extra does movie mode cost? Last year the EOS 1D Mark III was £4429.99. The EOS 1D Mark IV is being introduced at £4499.00. (These are list prices, body only).

As I said earlier in this thread, movie mode is essentially a software implementation and does not appear to have a significant impact on price.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by johnatj View Post
              A DSLR camera with software that will enable the viewfinder to be used through a laptop prior to actually taking the shot.
              You can do this with any EOS camera that has Live View and is connected to a computer by USB. Start up EOS Utility and go to Camera settings/Remote shooting.
              Andrew
              www.eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
                You can do this with any EOS camera that has Live View and is connected to a computer by USB. Start up EOS Utility and go to Camera settings/Remote shooting.
                Thanks for that Andrew; having a very old 10D of course I didn't realise that.
                John

Comment

How much extra does movie mode cost? Last year the EOS 1D Mark III was £4429.99. The EOS 1D Mark IV is being introduced at £4499.00. (These are list prices, body only).

As I said earlier in this thread, movie mode is essentially a software implementation and does not appear to have a significant impact on price.
                  The EOS 1D mkIII has been £2500 for some considerable time and does not have video or movie mode. I didn't pay anything like the figure you are quoting and it was purchase from the UK last year and it is not a grey import.

I suppose the only consolation is when you look at the 5D mkII with Movie Mode - It started at £2300 and it can be purchased for £1599 which will mean that those willing to hang on a while then the 1D mkIV will be available at £2500 in June or July 2010.

Comment

The EOS 1D mkIII has been £2500 for some considerable time and does not have video or movie mode. I didn't pay anything like the figure you are quoting and it was purchase from the UK last year and it is not a grey import.
                    Unfortunately, comparing the current street price of a camera which is soon to be replaced with the list price of the camera which will shortly replace it does not give any indication of the cost of adding movie mode. I used the Canon UK list price of the EOS 1D Mark III from March 2009 and the list price of the forthcoming EOS 1D Mark IV to provide the best comparison I could find.

Comment

Does the 1500 quid 7D, meant to compete fiercely with the nik 300s just de-value features traditionally found on canon 1 series cameras. ?

Dual processors, just to give one example.
                      Looks like it only costs Canon an extra 89p to add dual processors

Millie

Comment

Originally posted by sinisterpictures View Post
                        On a similar line, I'd find a remote viewfinder extremely useful. Be it either wired or wifi. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to see what your shooting if you happen to have to do one of those camera in the air point, shoot and hope for the best moments.

There was a point and shoot out back in the late 90s that did this, though for the life of me I can't remember the make.

Of course the remote would also have the facility for focus and shutter operations and the like.

Hope some of that makes sense? I'm not the best at describing what I mean in the written word.
                        You mean something like this?

Comment

Working...
                        X