Eos 550d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eos 550d

The 550D seems to be a camera that splits people in a conversation.In the short time I've owned mine I've had various comments,some unsolicited and mostly from other Canon users.
    I love the camera,as someone who is a bit of a point and shooter in auto mode,this camera is perfect.It allows me to get great photo's doing just that,but it goes much further,it seduces you to come into the "manual mode" world.The "dark side" you might say,to those new to digital SLR.
    I have dabbled with medium format film work in the past,so I'm well aware of the requirements of setting up a shot,but this 550D makes it so accessable to all.
    Perhaps that's why some owners of smaller cameras make the rather curious comment,that it's not a "proper " camera like it's more expensive brothers.
    Well leave the snobbery behind you,the 550D is a very good camera in my opinion,you get what you pay for and I dare say there are dearer cameras that are that bit more "special",but for me the 550D does exactly what it says on the tin(box actually).
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: Eos 550d

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
    The 550D seems to be a camera that splits people in a conversation.In the short time I've owned mine I've had various comments,some unsolicited and mostly from other Canon users.
    I love the camera,as someone who is a bit of a point and shooter in auto mode,this camera is perfect.It allows me to get great photo's doing just that,but it goes much further,it seduces you to come into the "manual mode" world.The "dark side" you might say,to those new to digital SLR.
    I have dabbled with medium format film work in the past,so I'm well aware of the requirements of setting up a shot,but this 550D makes it so accessable to all.
    Perhaps that's why some owners of smaller cameras make the rather curious comment,that it's not a "proper " camera like it's more expensive brothers.
    Well leave the snobbery behind you,the 550D is a very good camera in my opinion,you get what you pay for and I dare say there are dearer cameras that are that bit more "special",but for me the 550D does exactly what it says on the tin(box actually).
    Yes, I know I have the same camera. And you can't only great photo's in the automatic mode. But in the aperture/shutter speed mode, you can even make better photo's!! It is only a pitty that there are not many EF-S lenses.
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Friso,what lenses do you have? I'm wondering which is good for wildlife at distance,something around the 300mm size was what I was thinking about.
      Regards Tigerburnie

Comment

Hi Tigerburnie

I have the 550D, and I have the kit 18-55mm IS, 50mm f1.4, but for wlidlife I use the 70-300 IS USM (non-L). I also have the Kenko 1.4 extender, but don't use it too much.

I'm happy enough with the 70-300 but it needs good light for good clear shots, and I've had quite a few shots that are soft. You could opt for the 55-250 which many on here have, and rate well. If you have the money, the 70-300 L, or the 100-400 L would be good for wildlife etc. although the 100-400 tends to split opinion! I've not tried either, so I can't comment on them. You'll have to balance zoom against prime, but modern zooms are pretty darn good. Also your budget comes into play!

Basically, I've found 300mm to be OK for what I've shot, but many of my shots are in bird parks or wildlife centres, where the birds can be quite static! Feel free to look through my Flickr shots, as most were taken with the 70-300, and the exif data is intact, so you can check!

Hope that helps. All the best, Mike.
        Last edited by mikep; 09-08-2011, 08:44.
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

The 550D seems to be a camera that splits people in a conversation.
          The only thing that matters at the end of the day is the photo. It doesn't matter a jot how much you have spent on equipment, how long your photogaphy apprenticeship has been and what you have given up in the rest of your life in time and money. Is it a good shot or not?

Therefore, in my opinion and order of priority, the most important constituents of a shot are:
          • The photographers "eye"
          • The lens
          • The camera body

And if it helps, I have seen some remarkable shots taken on a 550 and some terrible ones taken on a 1 Series body (some of them by me).

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Friso,what lenses do you have? I'm wondering which is good for wildlife at distance,something around the 300mm size was what I was thinking about.
            Regards Tigerburnie
            I have the:
            - Canon EF-S 17-85mm
            - Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
            - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
            With kind regards,
            Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

I was given some advice many years ago by a quite famous photographer/film maker,he said buy a reasonable camera and the best quality film and lens you can afford.I guess now the film bit is a bit defunct.

Comment

I agree with Colin, apart from the camera body bit, the 550d is a lovely camera and can take pictures to match the best, the only reason I opted for a 50D instead was for the metal body and better weather protection. I all boils down to the lens you put on it, you will notice a difference using non-Canon lenses when using them at extreams. I would aim to stick to Canon lenses and any lens with a f2.8 max aperture will yeald some stunning shots, especially when shooting with the light in front of the lens, but you do need a hood for that. Regarding a longer lens, I brought a Canon EF 75-300 f4-5.6 series 3 usm through ebay a year ago, can't remember how much I paid but it was'nt much and it is a nice lens, I have now got a new 100-400 L series lens but only because I had a 2x extender for Christmas but no lens I could use it on (don't ask!!) so I am now going to sell the 75-300 as it will never get used. Back to the 550D, with the more expensive cameras you pay for robustness and better image processers but the picture is composed by you and the finished result is what you see, in other words it's not the equipment you use it is how you compose the picture and use the light.

Graham.

Comment

Mike thats the same lens that I have (non L) 70-300 IS USM I didnt think you could fit the canon extender am I wrong.
                  Regards
                  Brian
                  Brian "H"
                  Canon 550D EFS 18-55mm plus 70-300 IS USM

Comment

Originally posted by ilsonbhoy View Post
                    Mike thats the same lens that I have (non L) 70-300 IS USM I didnt think you could fit the canon extender am I wrong.
                    Regards
                    Brian
                    Wow - this post is a bit of a 'blast from the past'! I have the Kenko DGX 300 Pro 1.4 extender, and it works fine. I've now upgraded to the 70-300 IS USM L, and it works on that too! The Canon ones do not work on these lenses! A bit daft I know, but there you go!

Mike.
                    flickr
                    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up . I was a bit confused looking on the canon website but I guess I got it right in the end.
                      Seems a bit daft Canon dont make one compatable for their lens and leave a third party to clean up on a relatively expensive accessory I never will understand Marketing !
                      Regards
                      Brian
                      Brian "H"
                      Canon 550D EFS 18-55mm plus 70-300 IS USM

Comment

I think Canon look at it like this :
                        A tele-converter is a compromise and does tend to reduce image quality .
                        So Canon deemed that only their highest quality lenses (L series) should work with the (L series) tele-converter .

Now what you make of that is open to interpretation indeed .

Add to the main thread , I have 550 , moved from a 400d .
                        I can't afford a better body (I say that to all the ladies:P) , so I went for the ISO performance of sensor , not too concerned with the higher resolution over the 400 , but it's nice .
                        The small body (I say that to..oh hang on:P) is a bit difficult with a small lens on , as I have large hands .A larger lens does give another holding point and that's good .
                        If I were to criticise the camera , the shallow buffer depth is a pain (I shoot raw) and you have to hold the "Vietnam Vet" ethos of "short controlled bursts" , in mind .

Comment

I agree with comments made above. Any camera is a light tight box. It is the skilll of the photographer, a bit of luck, location and lens quality that is more important.
                          I have a 7D and 5D mk2. The new 5D mk3 doesn't really stimulate me to upgrade, so I am going to buy a 550D this week, as I want a small, light but high quality body for carrying on walks and cycling, etc. I have plenty of good glass to go on it, e.g. EFS 60mm macro, 17-40L, Sigma 10-20, EF 15-85, etc.
                          www.garywhite-photography.com
                          Gary White, MPhil
                          Travel Photographer

Comment

Hi all,been in hospital.not been on for a while,just catching up on the posts.
                            Lot of interesting thoughts on here,thanks for those,still learning about digital hardware.
                            You may have noticed I reviewed a 100-400 lens,well this is living on my camera,I use it for macro,landscape and wildlife and have to say I'm getting my monies worth from it.The heavy lens is perfectly off set by the light weight of 550d,I almost always shoot hand held,am experimenting with the manual modes and really pleased with the results for the most part.
                            Once I'm more mobile I'm off into the mountains looking for some inspiration.

Comment

Interesting thread, Sorr to hear about your stay hospital Hope you feel better noe Tigerburie.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X