Eos 550d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eos 550d

I have the opportunity to acquire a 550D at a very reasonable price but I am wondering is it worth the upgrade from the 450D ?
    My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
    © JH Foto
    The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Well, I guess you need to look at the 450d and ask yourself what it doesn't have that you feel you would like, then see if the 550d has them.
      I had the 500d and gave it to my son thinking I would get the 60d or 7d, but decided the 500d had all I needed and I certainly hadn't outgrown it, so just went for the 550d. My only regret was it didn't have the integral remote for the flash that the 600d has, or the articulated rear screen which I would have liked on occasion.
      Let us know ow you get on Bodger

Comment

I'm sure you're all aware by now that the 550D has now been superceded by the 650D - The first with an articulated, touch sensitive screen!

Comment

I am still wondering if the 550D would be much better if any than the 450D which I think is a damn good camera..
          My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
          © JH Foto
          The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post
            I am still wondering if the 550D would be much better if any than the 450D which I think is a damn good camera..
            I have had a Canon 450d and I must say it is a very good camera. However, you will find that the 550d has a bit more extras, like video, 18 mega pixels etc. Each new model that comes along has that bit more extras being added on. It is all a case of horses for courses and my motto is that you only upgrade if you find that your present model does not have some facility or facilities which you would like to have ,as your photography & photographic needs expand.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

If considering a camera upgrade think of what you are gaining, more pixels, faster shutter burst, live view mode, movie mode etc.. and ask yourself "Do I need it, am I gaining something that I actually need ?".

Here is a simple chart I made showing the subtle differences in 4 cameras, 350D, 450D, 550D and the new 650D.
              Hope it helps.

Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Bodger View Post
                In a short phase, newer gapless 18mp sensor and DIGIC 4, both of which are quite a step up in technology.
                Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Last Autumn I went out to purchase a Lumix CSC camera for those days when I like to travel light.
                  I noticed the 550D alongside the Lumix and although bigger than the Lumix it was nice and light - just what I was looking for.
                  As I couldn't find a 550D locally I bought a 600D - with kit lens as I couldn't get one body only.
                  These "wee" EOS bodies are great pieces of kit capable of well detailed images.
                  I have an EFs 15-85 permanately on mine and have occasionally used my 100-400L on it.
                  Well pleased with my purchase for the days when I don't want to lug around my gripped 5D2 and 7D.

Mike
                  www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Working...
                  X