Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommended Reading

Ooops quoted wrongly should be

Trust me - doing it with flash comp is the best way and the most accurate for colours. Apart from which you dont have to mess with post processing - which is difficult without a reference white

Firstly the colour balance may not be wrong - it is the amount of light getting to the dark object which is the issue.The camera and flash takes into account the available light and will reduce the flash output accordingly when there is a predominately white backgound. So to get the right light on a dark object it is necessary to increase the flash strength.

To lighten up the dark object after the event will increase the noise of that dark object, doing it by flash compensation avoids that issue, but introduces a possible burning out of the background which can be avoided by reducing normal exposure compensation - however if the dark object is the focus I feel that it is most important to get that correct in the camera.

This also applies to fill in flash with the sun/light behind people
    I don’t want to get into a long drawn out debate in the book section Brian. Maybe you could start another topic if you’re interested.
    Based on what you’ve written, imho there are two issues here basic exposure and colour temperature.

Or the basic exposure side of things, you could do a lot worse than refer to your new book “understanding exposure “.
    The link below is a good article on colour temp / wb

Hope this helps,
    Millie

Comment

Millie,

I am a simple person so I will continue with correcting exposure problems with exp comp and flash comp - I just cannot see how playing with AWB can help. I have started to experiment with this and have posted two pictures in the Nature section with infill. Hopefully I will produce something more substantial on flash when I have finished the research.

ALL
      ___

100 ways to take better landscape photographs - Guy Edwards

This is an excellent book to read. Salient pionts:

- written in a very easy to understand style
      - keeps to the point and doesn't labour the point
      - provides excellent photo examples

Interestingly he likes to use telephoto lens for landscapes - as I do. Most of his examples are over 100mm, with many 400+mm

Only downside:

- lot on film techniques - it was published in 2005 so probably written in 2003 if my experience applies to him

Marks out of 10: 8-1/2 from me

Brian

Will write up the other two this week
      Last edited by briansquibb; 23-01-2010, 21:55.
      ef-r

Comment

Slightly OT, but check out this site for second hand books:

Discover a wonderful selection of rare and collectible books, used copies, signed and first editions and more, from booksellers located around the world.

For example:

Understanding exposure £3.79

Obviously the more you pay the better the condition.

HTH
        Ed
        7D, 400D + Grip (for Sale), G9, EF-S 10-22 USM, 50 f1.4 USM, 17-40L, 24-105L IS, 100-400L, 430EX, RC-1, Giottos ML3290B + MT8240B & MH1302. No spare money!

Comment

Understanding RAW Photography by Andy Rouse

Andy Rouse website
          rhodopsin The fat bloke with the camera stuck to his face, well actually I was born with it.

Comment

Lighting by Chris Weston

Really good - comprehensive and to the point

Low Budget Shooting by Cyrill Harnischmacher

Got some easy to make flash/lighting gear and some good tips

Lighting

Low Budget Shooting
            Last edited by briansquibb; 06-02-2010, 22:41.
            ef-r

Comment

I have 3 to add to the list!

Photography and the art of seeing by Freeman Patterson - If your photography is stuck in a rut or you just want an intriguing read. V. different to most photographic books out there - have to admit found in a charity shop 99p!

The making of landscape photographs bt Charlie Waite (the clue is in the title!) again in a charity shop!

Digital Macro Photography by Ross Hoddinott (another difficult one to guess) found in my local library!

Comment

Working...
              X