Photographing a glazed painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photographing a glazed painting

I have been asked to photograph a watercolour painting which shows a local ruined church as it was about 1865. this is for reproduction in a book about the church which will be published shortly. My problem is that the picture is framed and glazed and I am not permitted to remove it from the frame.

From the point of view of lighting, I think daylight on a day of even cloud (of which we seem to be getting a lot recently!) is best. What is the best way to avoid distracting reflections while still photographing the picture from as near straight ahead as possible?

All suggestions gratefully received.
    Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Re: Photographing a glazed painting

A polarizing filter is all that I can think of at this moment.
    Good luck.

Comment

Yes, I thought of that and wondered if it would simply give me a less shiny reflection of the camera and tripod. The way to find out is to try it, of course. Thanks for the help.
      Garrett

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

May be better to photograph at an angle then straightened it in photoshop.
        Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Thank you Stephen and Phil. I've photographed the painting using both suggestions and I have to say the result wasn't too bad at all. There's no discernible reflection and the only problem is the out-of-square shape; Before wasting time trying to correct that in the processing I'll have another shot at seeing how close to head-on I can come. Then of course comes the really tricky bit of getting the colour balance exactly like the painting.

Thanks again.
          Garrett

Comment

I found this website.
            It might be worth reading although everything is generally common-sense.
            HERE
            It might be useful.

Good Luck

Another possibly useful site HERE and another HERE
            Last edited by Hereford_EOS2; 11-09-2011, 12:27.

Comment

Take a head on shot to obtain the dimension ratios. Then take a number of shots at an angle of about 45 degrees to avoid reflections. as suggested a Polarising filter can help but watch your shutter speed!
              Use your software to adjust your best angled shot to the correct dimension proportions - Photoshop Elements Free Transform works fine.
              If you don't need the frame in shot then this is easily cropped out.
              Good luck!

Bob
              Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Stephen, thanks very much for those links. The info may be basic but it's very useful to have it set out in sequence and there are a few points it would be easy to overlook.

Bob, that's a good tip about taking a photo head-on to get proportions right. I hadn't thought of it. I will be cutting out the frame.
                Garrett

Comment

Working...
                X