Monthly photo competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monthly photo competition

How about a monthly photo competition where registered members send in one or two photos on a given theme set by the forum modulators. Perhaps the forum terminators then select the best 50 photos from entries (and terminate the rest -sorry, but...) and then ask for the members to vote on what they think is good! After which the best x number are then displayed in a special section. Could also be levels such as beginner, intermediate, advanced, proficient, and maybe camera type categories as well - but of course not too complicated. If this is possible, it could really bring a bit more life into the forum -maybe a vote on this poll??

Do you think a monthly photo competition is a good idea?
    Yes
    90.00%
    No
    5.00%
    Don't know
    5.00%
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Re: Monthly photo competition

It's a good idea, but not sure how the logistics of it would work out. Good idea though.

Comment

I moderate a photo-forum in the UAE and we run a monthly challenge where members submit a single entry to a monthly challenge thread set by another of the members who sits in the chair and after the closing date will choose the photo which best fulfills his topic and give a written explanation as to why he chose that shot over the others. As the moderator I put up the thread to ensure that the 'chair' remains neutral for the month of the challenge.
      It works quite well and is easy to implement. There is no debate permitted on the thread. Full shooting details are to be included with each entry and the image has to have been shot within 3 months preceding the start date of the challenge. We run it from the 1st to the 26th each month.

Pippa

Comment

The poll needed a 'don't care' option rather than a 'don't know'. I have no objection to them myself but have never entered a photographic competition in my life, and that's 54 years of taking photographs. I don't see photography as a competitive pastime.

Probably just me me being a grumpy old man. :tongue:
        Regards ,
        Norman

Comment

That's why we have a 'challenge' here in the UAE as there is no prize and is subject to the expectations of the member in the chair!!! The one we have put up for October is processing a common image....

Comment

I voted no as
            There does not seem to be much management or moderation (as in moderators) around to run such a competition....
            All the best
            Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              I voted no as
              There does not seem to be much management or moderation (as in moderators) around to run such a competition....
              Everyone is being so nice to each other that the moderators rarely need to step in.

However, we have banned several users for posting spam, we have tweaked the private messaging system to reduce the risk of spamming, and we post-moderate every message to check that it is within the forum guidelines. You weren't aware of any of this? Good - that's the way it should be.

We are currently looking at updating the Gallery competition run in EOS magazine. Linking it to images uploaded to a section of the forum and voted on by readers is one idea. No promises, but watch this space!
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                Everyone is being so nice to each other that the moderators rarely need to step in.
                Headline: "Peace and Love epidemic breaks out on internet!"

Personally, I think the help.

Comment

Robert, then I change mine to a yes and actually tie-ing it into the Gallery and the magazine is a great idea... Rather than just on the Forum.
                  All the best
                  Peter Woods LRPS

My Web Site

Comment

I would welcome a competition -
                    but I agree with Norman above - you cant really be competitive in the arts, there is no definitive means of measurement, no goals to score or measures; hence the x factor where success is by popular vote which only tells you what's popular and not what's good.
                    i.e. sugar, cream, alcohol, bright colours all popular and attractive on one level or other....but not good..........or are they!
                    A competition would be welcome in providing a challenge - and inspire me to go out and photograph things I might not have ordinarily done. On balance I think a competition is a good idea.....sorry if that bored you.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I voted yes to a competition, not cos I want to enter, I just enjoy looking at the entries and results.

you cant really be competitive in the arts, there is no definitive means of measurement, no goals to score or measures; hence the x factor where success is by popular vote which only tells you what's popular and not what's good.
                      Let’s have two competitions then.
                      One were the most popular picture wins, and another were the winning picture is good on a ‘higher level’, but lacks mass appeal.

Why not bring back the “Photoshop challenge”, it was very popular, not to mention self-administering.

Millie

Comment

Millie said:- "I voted yes to a competition, not cos I want to enter, I just enjoy looking at the entries and results"

Same here.
                        John.

Comment

Originally posted by Norman View Post
                          The poll needed a 'don't care' option rather than a 'don't know'. I have no objection to them myself but have never entered a photographic competition in my life, and that's 54 years of taking photographs. I don't see photography as a competitive pastime.

Probably just me me being a grumpy old man. :tongue:
                          I voted no because it would turn into a photoshop competition

Probably just me being a grumpy old man :tongue:
                          ef-r

Comment

comps are good if you have entries :) I enter forum comps now and then, used to be on dcm but that site fell apart, lack of decent moderation or admin. Forum comps are good for making you learn new techniques and force you to think about what your doing, not something for pro's but great for amateurs wanting to learn. The promise of having a pic printed in the mag is a great incentive, no need for other prizes imho :)

Comment

Competitions should be in different categorizes if it should be popular or attractive, for my opinion i would like to have a free or open competition, in addition to a theme competition, also it can be weekly, monthly, annual.
                              Weekly to make people sharing regularly and more often, Monthly is to have a theme for example and then have that full month to work on it, Annual could be in 2 categories itself, winner works of each month collected to be into that annual competition, and/or choose a theme every year and start for it before the end of the year so by the end of the year we show the winner results.

There are many ways for competitions, i am in one forum they have some kind of a game, that have a topic or theme and then members work on it, competitions mostly should come with prizes or awards that may not be possible to do every time if not sponsored.

Comment

Working...
                              X